Sony showed off a 35mm sensor camera and a 3D unit - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:57 AM   #16
MPS Digital Studios

I'm going to say, until RED puts out the Scarlet, which they're close to 2 years late on it (early 2009 is what they told us back at the 2008 NAB), let's not jump to conclusions.

As for Sony's pricing, they seem to be competitive, though I'd love to see the NX5U drop about $1000.

Heath
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:40 AM   #17
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Presas View Post
While I would agree about this in regard to the R1, when the S35 Scarlet comes out it will be a slightly different situation. I doubt very seriously the codec they release the Sony with will match REDcode RAW, and I'm willing to bet it wont resolve at 3k-4k. I doubt the sensor will even approach the capabilites of Mystrerium X.

Mind you, and this has alwasy been the arguemnt against Scarlet, as of right now it's not available. But from what has been going around the red forums, it looks like the Epic will beat this sony to market, and the S35 Scarlet will be close in tow. A shoot-ready scarlet package will likely retail at around $15k

Sony isn't known for having the best priced cameras in their class...in fact theyre usually the opposite.

Scarlet or Panny would still win out in my book either way.
Eh - Scarlet is still so much vaporware. I'm sorry, but until an actual Scarlet is available, I can't take any talk of their impending release seriously. We've heard that story over and over again for years now. It may someday be the best cam for the money - or it may be a big disappointment. Believe me, I was as excited as everybody else when RED announced the Scarlet. But, c'mon, how long will this be dragged along?

Right now, Panasonic and Sony have real, working, prototype large-sensor cameras that they've displayed to the world. That carries a lot more weight to me.

And as far as price, I think Sony is as competitive as any of the other camera makers. If they can deliver a near-RED for under 10 grand, that sounds like a winner to me.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:44 AM   #18
Major Player

Given the feature set shown with the button layout and the industrial design, I cannot see this camera as being a unit that competes with Red, let alone Alexa. This has all the visual cues of a camera under 10 grand, in my view.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:32 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Having looked at the Panasonic AF100 yesterday, they claim a December release and Jan Crittenden saying it's about 70% complete (so many buttons weren't working and no way to examine the menu), I can't help but think Sony's camera is also aimed at this market price point. The VG10 and nothing until 6 digit price? Sorry it doesn't make sense to me.

Yes, this will be a camera under $10K. Whether that's with or without certain attachment is anybody's guess but that would make sense as a base body price at least.

One should look how Sony marketing and development product release works for clues. There's some predictability to the pattern. Base mode comes out first and then it climbs the ladder. That was the pattern with their DV, HDV, EX series. It'll be the pattern with this as well IMHO. Basically the get people to buy quick at a low entry point and move up with new products.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:49 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
Eh - Scarlet is still so much vaporware. I'm sorry, but until an actual Scarlet is available, I can't take any talk of their impending release seriously. We've heard that story over and over again for years now. It may someday be the best cam for the money - or it may be a big disappointment. Believe me, I was as excited as everybody else when RED announced the Scarlet. But, c'mon, how long will this be dragged along?

Right now, Panasonic and Sony have real, working, prototype large-sensor cameras that they've displayed to the world. That carries a lot more weight to me.
I agree that Scarlet had massive delays, but the product got a lot better too.
But I just want to say: RED isn't different in 'having working prototypes'. They already have some shots (a still) that was shot with a Scarlet prototype. They already have working Epic prototypes, even used on filmsets, which some Scarlet models are very much based upon. They're new software is already working (HDR). Etc.
I agree that they don't have a camera on the market yet, but Sony doesn't either. BOTH of the companies have working prototypes. Just wanted to defend RED a little bit here.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:57 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Mathieu is right. "Vaporware" is when a concept never gets off the drawing board. RED on the other hand has working prototypes and will be shipping soon. So can we please get back to the topic at hand -- that being the new Sony -- since this wasn't intended to be a discussion about anything else. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:35 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
Still, the Panny AF100 is listed at $4,995.
WHOA. Where did you hear that the AF100 is listed at $4,995? That would be killer-awesome and somewhat unexpected (anything from $5995 to $5395 has been discussed that I've heard of.)

Looking at Abelcinetech, Bhphoto, etc. it shows as MSRP unannounced. Hope you've heard something different!
Chris Lawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:58 PM   #23
Wrangler

Chris, Abelcinetech has just announced it at $4995. So... Party on. :)
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM   #24
MPS Digital Studios

Very nice! I'd love to see Sony come back with that price point. Just 4-5 years ago, I was talking to a friend of mine about 35mm sensors one day coming to smaller HD cameras.

Heath
Old September 24th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #25
Regular Crew

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very nice! I'd love to see Sony come back with that price point.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would doubt that seeing as how the EX1 and EX3 are still over $6,000 and $8,000 respectively, which both still sell like hotcakes. Sony knows it can easily sell prosumer cameras at that price range, so I doubt they'd lowball their own prices.

I'm guesssing that when this camera comes out it will be in the EX3 price range, maybe a little higher.
Rick Presas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #26
MPS Digital Studios

Rick,

I think you're right about that. I'd still love to see the price at $5,000, but we'll see.

Heath
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #27
Wrangler

I'd love to see the price for a real full frame (not 4/3rds) camera under $10,000.

ALso, price comparison vs the EX1/EX3 isn't quite fair, it's a different camera with a different user.
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Agree I would keep my EX with Nano and use the 35mm for a different client. Under 10K would be nice to see.
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #29
Regular Crew

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
it's a different camera with a different user.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're right in the sense that this camera wont make the EX series obsolete, as they will still appeal very much to Doc/Event/ENG professionals, to whom a 35mm sensor isnt practical. But right now, the EX series is also the hot prosumer camcorder for indie narrative film makers (aside from HDSLR cams, of course). It's what the HVX was a couple of years ago, and the DVX before that.

The new sony, the new panny, and, if it ever comes out, the 2/3" Scarlet will all be front runners in that same market.

I feel sorry for manufacturers of 35mm Lens adapters and HDSLR add-on systems. markets for both will likely go bye-bye within a year or two of those three cams getting released.
Rick Presas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #30
MPS Digital Studios

I am excited because the 35mm lenses will look better than ever, without having to use special adapters to get the image to fit properly on the sensor. Not to mention the problems with glass-in-front-of-glass.

I think the 35mm adapter manufacturers will do well, because users will likely save their money and keep their existing cameras, and just buy the adapter. Plus, the HDSLR support market is exploding. From what I understand, plenty of film students and grads are moving towards HDSLR because of their affordability and the lenses they can use.

Heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta