Far Red (IR) on F3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 26th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Trustee

Far Red (IR) on F3

Contrary to the suggestion in the "Provideo Coalition" test on the F3 vs Alexa FS100 etc, I found Far Red contamination in this camera to look quite minor. I compared it to my EX-1 on the worst offender in my closet, something that goes quite maroon on the EX-1. While there was a hint of color in the F3 image it was not in the same universe as the EX-1. It did clear up completely with the T1 though, but in most cases I’m not sure I would worry about it much. Considering how many supposedly technically astute people I’ve argued with who don’t seem to be bothered by it even on an EX-1 ( and who can’t bother to spring $70 on a T1) I don’t think its too serious.
Of course I will buy another T1 for the camera myself.
As usual I didn’t see any problems compounded by the in-camera ND’s nor my own B+W and Heliopan’s but I only looked quickly at that.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Far Red (IR) on F3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Contrary to the suggestion in the "Provideo Coalition" test on the F3 vs Alexa FS100 etc, I found Far Red contamination in this camera to look quite minor. I compared it to my EX-1 on the worst offender in my closet, something that goes quite maroon on the EX-1. While there was a hint of color in the F3 image it was not in the same universe as the EX-1. It did clear up completely with the T1 though, but in most cases I’m not sure I would worry about it much. Considering how many supposedly technically astute people I’ve argued with who don’t seem to be bothered by it even on an EX-1 ( and who can’t bother to spring $70 on a T1) I don’t think its too serious.
Of course I will buy another T1 for the camera myself.
As usual I didn’t see any problems compounded by the in-camera ND’s nor my own B+W and Heliopan’s but I only looked quickly at that.
Thanks for that look-see on IR ... I have asked this question several times and you are the first to comment. I certainly find the IR problem to be pronounced in my EX3 when doing events with multiple speakers! They enviably where black and the contamination is a bitch to get rid of without compromising image quality. The T1 does do the job but I've misplaced mine and will have to get another!
Old March 27th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Far Red (IR) on F3

Thanks,
I tested this very carefully with the EX-1 and was with Art Adams and the Tiffen rep when we convinced him they needed to design a filter specifically for the EX which became the T1.

I was very happy to see it wasn't as bad.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta