Picture Profiles for FS5. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old January 29th, 2016, 05:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Picture Profiles for FS5.

Had the FS5 out for the first time today, Ended up shooting on Cine 1.

In days of yore when my EX1 was new, the equivalent forum on here had a whole section dedicated to picture profiles and which ones to use. Is there any equivalent on here.

I have a very nice picture profile for my EX1 but genuinely no idea what is best for the FS5. On the EX1 I have a profile that gives nice footage direct from the camera but still has some scope for grading.

What profiles and tweaks are you guys using if you don't mind me asking?
Old January 29th, 2016, 06:50 PM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

Re: Picture Profiles for FS5.

I posted one here a while ago:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ml#post1907480
Old January 29th, 2016, 06:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks. I saw your video shot in your office just now in fact while searching!
Old January 30th, 2016, 04:07 AM   #4
Major Player

I'd be interested in one too. My needs are ENG with little time to color correct afterwards. I have been playing around with Gamma 1 and 4 but have yet to find something that looks as appealing out of the camera as my Canon 6D does...
(Which is a bit disappointing but... I know it can be done, just not how... yet...)

Black at -5 and Sat at +5 hasn't done it for me. (Although in theory that would go some of the way, I guess?)
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 02:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

is possible to have pp like Canon WDR on FS5 ??
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 03:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Okocha View Post
I'd be interested in one too. My needs are ENG with little time to color correct afterwards. I have been playing around with Gamma 1 and 4 but have yet to find something that looks as appealing out of the camera as my Canon 6D does...
(Which is a bit disappointing but... I know it can be done, just not how... yet...)

Black at -5 and Sat at +5 hasn't done it for me. (Although in theory that would go some of the way, I guess?)
I have no idea why Sony names things the way they do, but under the PP setting look into color mode options, I am liking PRO (with added saturation) and STILL..... actually prefer still for most things but who would ever use it with PRO as an option :)
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2016, 02:54 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I test in very low light,i set PP stil pp + s-log3 cine 3200..:-) +10 blak +5 color, i test this in extreme iso 20000,and on my monitor looks pretty good in HD.I tried several combinations,but over ISO 6400 are very noisy.it is true that some details are lost, but I have a pretty good picture in HI ISO 20000 ,this without color grading.If someone has experienced a more scientific and can share experience,please... post
Old February 5th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #8
Major Player

You're not supposed to use sLog in low light. Use rec709. That puts more color information in the dynamic range that is actually used in low light.
Old February 6th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #9
Regular Crew

REC709 is too noisee at 20000 iso :-)
Old February 6th, 2016, 02:06 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docea Marius View Post
I test in very low light,i set PP stil pp + s-log3 cine 3200..:-) +10 blak +5 color, i test this in extreme iso 20000,and on my monitor looks pretty good in HD.I tried several combinations,but over ISO 6400 are very noisy.it is true that some details are lost, but I have a pretty good picture in HI ISO 20000 ,this without color grading.If someone has experienced a more scientific and can share experience,please... post
Maybe joking but SLOG3 with lifted blacks and more saturation seems like a really bad idea... have you tried CINE4 and trying the different color modes like PRO, STILL and Standard?
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 10:07 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I've been doing some more testing with my FS5 and picture profile settings - been testing a few different set-ups over the last few months. I quite like Olof's setting (thank you Olof for the effort and sharing) but realised I really needed to learn a lot more about what all the settings do and which ones are important/what influence they have on other paramters etc.

So I pushed the button today and bought Doug Jensen's Vortex Media training series for the FS5 (actually it's rented for £59.67 - and for that you get 6 months Vimeo access).

I've already spent most of the day watching the first dozen or so episodes back to back! I have to say it's a superbly well put together training series. I've had my FS5 since last November and own/have owned numerous other Sony pro cams but I've already learnt a few things (and some great operational tips) that I'd overlooked or a few nuances and quirks that had escaped me with the FS5.

Obviously, I've yet to try out the recommended FS5 picture profile settings that Doug has derived and presents in one of the chapters in the series - but I have every confidence that they will be a great start point for what I'm looking for.

BTW, just to be clear, out of courtesy to Doug and all the hard work and time he's put into this, I won't ever divulge his suggested 'Vortex-FS5-Pro' picture profile settings and I'm sure he'd appreciate it if others respect that sentiment.

Bottom line, IMO it's the best way to spend £60 quid (and the time spent watching it) that you'll spend if you own a FS5.

Highly recommended.
Old April 1st, 2016, 10:49 AM   #12
Major Player

I read the FS5 manual from start to finish over a couple of weeks, playing about with the camera as I went along. At the end I thought I had most of it covered, but decided to get Doug's Master Class just in case I missed something. Glad I did since I learnt quite a few things the manual didn't cover, particularly some gotchas. It also confirmed some of my own thoughts over settings.

So likewise I recommend Doug's course.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 05:15 AM   #13
Vortex Media

Thanks Nigel and Andy for the nice comments. I really appreciate it. I really do.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:40 AM   #14
Inner Circle

You're welcome Doug!

Quick (HD) timeline frame export from some testing I was doing today with something very close to your picture profile.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture Profiles for FS5.-clip0003.00_35_12_33.still001.jpg  
Old April 2nd, 2016, 12:03 PM   #15
Vortex Media

Looks nice. Good color, rich blacks, and no blown highlights. That's what I like to turn over to clients as a WYSIWYG look. If they want to use it as it is, fine, but there is still room to fine-tune if they want to.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5