Battery Options For Pilot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 15th, 2007, 07:10 AM   #1
Major Player

Battery Options For Pilot

PAG, Anton Bauer and Sony V-Mount. Any opinions?
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis View Post
Given the price of any of the "pro" battery options, when considering multiple batteries and a charger, none of which will be compatible with my HVX-200 batteries, I chose the AAA battery version for my Pilot, which I hope to have in my hands pretty soon (I just emailed them about the shipping date, which was reportedly sometime around now).

Given that the batteries are only used to power the 5.8" SD LCD monitor, I'm hoping a few sets of rechargeable LiIon AAAs (I already have quite a few, and a fast charger) will do the job well enough, and save me a pretty fair chunk of change.

I hope I'm not wrong!
Ted Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #3
Major Player

For pro batteries, there are a coupel of factors: compatibilty and cost.

If you are allready working in an evironment where one type of battery is used, then youd desicion is allready made: get the same type.

If you arn't currently using any one type, then consider what you woudl most likly be using. If everyone in town uses PAG, then getting AB would be a bad idea. I've noticed slightly more V-mount than AB on a global scale, but even that varies .. many production & rental houses carry both, with PAG beeing a notable player in Europe too.

PAG is practically non-exsistant in the US

If you are starting from scratch, then you are down to perosnal choice and price. A E-7 or E-10 starter kit from IDX is probabaly the cheapest way to get into the game. It allows leaves the upgrade path open to Steadicam Power cubes later if you do move up to bigger rigs - note that Steadicam uses V-mount plates by default on their full line of rigs now, they are also now an IDX dealer.

But it really does come down to personal price. But whatever you go with, I'd recomend getting Li-Ion batteries, they are jsut so much easier and more convenient to work with than other chemistries.

Note that the Co-Pilot uses AA batteries, not AAA.

- Mikko
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Wilson View Post
Note that the Co-Pilot uses AA batteries, not AAA.

- Mikko
Right, my mistake there - it's AA's. And the AA option is available on the regular Pilot too, not just the Co-Pilot.

I do wish I could get a sense of how many hours a set of LiIon AAs will power the 5.8" monitor, but the gentlemen I spoke to at Tiffen/Steadicam didn't know.

Anyone want to weigh in on this?
Ted Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis View Post
So fast getting the pilot? Thought you just got your vest/arm for the merlin? Haha.
Kenny Shem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #6
Major Player

The Pilot and Merlin use the same vest/arm.
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #7
New Boot

We just pre-ordered the Pilot from B&H photo with the Anton battery system combo kit that includes two battery's and a charger. We can't wait to get the Pilot and learn how to use it during the winter..

Walter
Walter van Dusen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)