Running With Pilot Shot. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Running With Pilot Shot.

Just a short sprinting shot, my first attempt at running with the Pilot and Sony Z1: http://www.vimeo.com/1393821
I had a bit of a breeze to contend with, but as you can see the arm has beautifully eliminated all vertical movement. Believe it or not but I find it better running with a 60 pound set up.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Wrangler

Nice speed Nick! Interesting that you prefer a heavier rig for this sort of thing--certainly it will make it easier to maintain framing but the mass tends to reduce either the speed or the length of the run for most (alas, one's age and condition is always a major factor in this also)! It's not all that often that I have to do a flat-out run but traditionally I start jettisoning bits and pieces off the rig and now have built a bantamweight running rig for just this purpose.

The systems looks nice and solid, no vibration which is often the case with a high-speed run like this. Good too see the Pilot works well for this type of thing. Thanks for posting.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Yeah Charles, I found running with a big rig or even watching another operator running exhilarating, so smooth! BTW I can go much faster, might post again. Next time I run though I wont have a protein shake beforehand!
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis View Post
Yeah Charles, I found running with a big rig or even watching another operator running exhilarating, so smooth! BTW I can go much faster, might post again. Next time I run though I wont have a protein shake beforehand!
sounds like me before any exercise.... must be on an empty stomach.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #5
Wrangler

Yeah, it's usually my luck that the biggest Steadicam shot of the day comes right after lunch--it's bad enough when I know about it in advance and have to eat light, even worse when it comes as a complete surprise and I'm packing a full load!
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Gee Charles, thats one thing that I never thought about, you would just about have to be hungry all day - eat very very light so you don't end up throwing up.
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Wrangler

Add to that the Klassen (back-mounted) vest, which has a wide area that presses against your belly--really helps with this sort of thing!
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Absolutely right, Charles. The Klassen and a full tummy just do not mix. Fortunately, catering is not always the most gourmet of foods, and therefore doesn't encourage me to pig out. I'll typically try to stick to the salad and small portions of pasta. Another thing that helps me is to simply have a granola bar or two throughout the day, especially close to a meal, again discouraging heavy eating. It also maintains a more consistent level of food in the gullet, minimizing that first-mount-after-lunch shock.
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #9
Major Player

Speaking of running with a Steadicam...

...I'm sure you've all seen this commercial...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ll7qjk2jF0A

:-)
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afton Grant View Post
Absolutely right, Charles. The Klassen and a full tummy just do not mix. Fortunately, catering is not always the most gourmet of foods, and therefore doesn't encourage me to pig out. I'll typically try to stick to the salad and small portions of pasta. Another thing that helps me is to simply have a granola bar or two throughout the day, especially close to a meal, again discouraging heavy eating. It also maintains a more consistent level of food in the gullet, minimizing that first-mount-after-lunch shock.
Jeez Afton, you are going to make us all look bad.

Then again, I'll check back with you after you start getting full-time episodic work. That tends to lay waste to one's exercise and diet regimen in a big way.
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Well I should be getting my steadicam soon and I have had to change how I eat.

Up till now, Ive liked my food too much and kinda piled on the pounds. So at current weight, I would be the steadicam equivalent of the good year blimp!

By the time the device arrives, I will be decidedly thinner. To allow me to do shots like this.

I do remember in the steadicam forum gathering that Charles said (i think) that due to the nature of the steadicam, it is its own exercise machine.

Im waiting for the publication of a 12 step exercise program for the steadicam ala Ted Churchill style :)
Niall Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Then again, I'll check back with you after you start getting full-time episodic work.
Oh, snap!! You'll be the first person I call, bro.

A very common question about Steadicam is, "What type of exercise do you do?" I don't think there's any better "steadi-exercise" than just putting the damn thing on and either working or practicing. Do lunges, go running, climb stairs, do squats, and all that, but do them because they're just good for you anyway, not because you want to be in shape for Steadicam.

I used to instruct a kickboxing class. It was a very intense, one hour workout. Yet since I would do it six days a week, I was conditioned enough to get through it quite easily. A friend of mine is a triathlete, and one day he and another triathlete friend of his came in to just try out the class. Now, I would consider these guys to be near the absolute top of the fitness chart. They swim several miles, hop on a bike for a couple hundred, and then run to Phoenix... or something like that. Things I could never do then or now. After 10 minutes of my class, they were wiped out. Why? Because it's a different type of exercise. They were working muscles differently than their normal training regimen.

The Olympics are starting soon. If you haven't already, look at the shapes of the athletes' bodies. The swimmers all look different from the sprinters, who all look different from the distance runners, who all look different from the weightlifters, and so forth. These are the top athletes in the world, and I'm sure they all do general exercise for all around fitness, but when it comes time to actually train, they just do it. ....hmmm. That would make a good slogan.
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #13
Major Player

Currently leg pressing 700 pounds. Helps get the speed up. Been training hard in the gym for 24 years. Long time fan of the Governor, before he hit Hollywood.
Old July 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #14
Major Player

I don't think jogging or lifting weights would make a huge difference in the stability my shots. The best exercise for me is flying hands free. Balance is more important than strength. Besides, the Pilot isn't that heavy, even with additional weights.

Actually, I take that back. There is one aspect that requires some strength - lugging all the crap around! The camera case, monitor case, and Pilot backpack together makes for a heavy load.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #15
Major Player

Good point there Dave - that's a good reason to bring the wife along. -))))

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)