Running With Pilot Shot. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 26th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #16
Wrangler

The great thing with rigs like the Pilot is that it allows even those who are not necessarily all buffed up like Nick and Afton to be able to shoot for good lengths of time without fatigue being an issue. Naturallly once you move up to the 60 (70...80...!) pound rigs, strength becomes much more of a factor.

Dave, you are so right about the cases--I have a saying now that when I'm dayplaying, they are paying me to shlep the gear and build it /break it down rather than actually working with it, as the shlepping is the more tiresome! Maybe I'll take a picture sometime of the cases I drag around with me that are just Steadicam--it's not as much as some, more than others but I'm a bit jealous of the single-case rigs like the Pilot for sure!

Afton, true that about the Olympics. When I was at the aquatic venue in 96 (with GB's crew doing Skycam), I saw a couple of the water polo guys attempt to train with the synchronized swimmer gals. Those guys were in unbelievable shape but after 10 minutes they gave up.
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #17
Major Player

Very interesting thoughts on exercises.

No one would ever confuse me for an athlete, but I did about 2 and a half hours in my Merlin/Arm/Vest rig last weekend, climbing about a 50' high pile of rocks. I could certainly feel it, but I was not completely wiped out.

But what I find most interesting is about a year ago I flew a JR with a Canon GL2 handheld for about 25 minutes - one continuous shot, and my arm was just fine. The only thing I think I can attribute this to is my extensive work as a puppeteer. I've regularly had to manipulate a puppet over my head for long periods, once for the entirety of an hour-long performance. So it's not that I have particularly "buff" arms (far from it, actually!), but my arms have been conditioned to holding weight for long periods at some distance from the body.
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)