DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Balancing Magiqcam with heavy battery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/34191-balancing-magiqcam-heavy-battery.html)

Wesley Wong December 1st, 2004 11:54 AM

SWEET !!! thanks for all the valued instructions !!!

I was about to post Dave's pics of the sled from the other thread ... http://www.awesomedental.com/images/sled%20images/DSC00075.JPG

Thanks again ! Charles K, and P and everyone else !!!

I'm gonna work around that monitor too and practise it.

Wesley Wong December 1st, 2004 12:36 PM

Oh as far as I can tell, I can't fit a spirit level under the camera plate mount,

so is it advisable to fit one on the monitor and the other on the battery and try to match them ?

I see the 2nd pic in Chrales K's link that some are mounted on the battery too.

Charles King December 1st, 2004 12:42 PM

Glad to be of help Wong. Anytime.

If you have a place just on top of the stage than you should place one there and and another on the monitor and match it up that way. I Think I have a pic of one somewhere.

Charles Papert December 1st, 2004 01:40 PM

Wesley:

As far as the battery hitting your knees and the monitor being obstructed, it sounds like you are flying the rig directly in front of you. It should be off to one side, the opposite side that the arm connects to the vest. Swivel the gimbal handle within the end of the arm to open up your view to the monitor.

In certain flying positions such as when running, there is more of a danger for the rig to get knocked with the knees; in this case, you allow the rig to fly further away from your body.

After much practice, your body will "learn" where to fly the rig so that you never hit it with your knees, but you are also flying it as close to the body as possible without this happening to reduce fatigue.

Ed Liew December 1st, 2004 08:22 PM

wesley,

"Oh as far as I can tell, I can't fit a spirit level under the camera plate mount, so is it advisable to fit one on the monitor and the other on the battery and try to match them ?"

i place a bullseye level on top of the aluminium plate right underneath the camera plate
( http://visualline.7p.com/gimbal_leveling.html ) and another tubular level just on top of the lcd monitor (sorry, don't have a pic of this at the moment). the bullseye level is use for balancing the rig and the tubular level is more for reference when flying the rig but honestly, it not easy flying the rig, framing the shot and looking at the level. need lots of practice.

ed

Charles King December 1st, 2004 09:52 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ed Liew : wesley,
but honestly, it not easy flying the rig, framing the shot and looking at the level. need lots of practice.ed -->>>

Ed, the idea is not to look at the level when flying the rig at the same time. It is only there to make sure the rig is level before you start flying the rig. That's the idea.

Wesley Wong December 1st, 2004 11:53 PM

wow. ok. got it... bull's eye level... hmmm.

Off to the opposite side of the arm. *check* .

more practises.

Ed Liew December 2nd, 2004 12:03 AM

"It is only there to make sure the rig is level before you start flying the rig. That's the idea."
now i know. thanks charles k

ed

Michael Best December 2nd, 2004 12:28 PM

Off topic but in the right place

Ok, potentially stupid questions here. Just got mine, are you guys flying these on your right side, in front, or off to the left.
Seems it will work anywhere but what are you guys doing?
Also, how much tension are you guys using? I have an XL1s on it
now and seem to prefer the tenison on the arms about maxed.
Any starter tips? How far down did you place the gimbal? I've
got it well balanced on the docking station but still need to reduce
the sway a little more. What helps reduce side to side movement? Any input would be great to help reduce initial
mistakes. Thanks!!!

Ed Liew December 2nd, 2004 08:20 PM

hi michael,

did you get the new gimbal?

i'm not the expert to actually give advice on how to fly this rig but this is my experience. i'm sure both charles p and k can correct me if i'm wrong on this one.

magiqcam is design to work on the left only as the socketblocks is fix to the right. if you fly it any where else, its pretty difficult to control and not to say the amount of stress it put on your back.

as for the tension, you have got to get it tune to work with your particular setup. i still have not got mine to work in the way it should. i'm flying mine (panasonic dvc200) with the tension almost to the max and it look very "choppy" when i walk parallel to a roll of parking meter. and it take alot of strenght to rise the rig.

ed

Michael Best December 3rd, 2004 09:39 AM

Hi there - yes, it has the new gimbal. I'm thinking I need more weight on the bottom, the monitor and the battery are lighter
than the camera and I believe it is supposed to be the opposite.
any continued input is much appreciated. Thanks!

Ed Liew December 3rd, 2004 10:36 PM

have you try increase the length of the bottom sled? you should have the sled slightly bottom heavy. to confirm this, place the sled with everything on, on the balancing side of the docking station. swing the sled to horizontal position and see which end it drop. if it drop on the camera end, try extending the bottom sled. i hope you get what i mean.

ed

ps. charles p and k, how am i doing so far?

Michael Best December 4th, 2004 10:40 AM

The balancing side? I guess I am missing something. Which
side is that and how do you use it? I'd love to get the sled
longer but how? Thanks again

Wei Mun December 4th, 2004 12:25 PM

Hi Guys,

Hope you all can give me some opinions on a good sturdy bright LCD monitor for use with my stabilizer. I'm looking not more than USD$300.

To: Ed Liew
Saw your Magiqcam setup. Wondering which LCD monitor are using?
Did you get it locally in MY?
Btw, how's your Magiqcam?

To: Wesley Wong
All the best to your setup.
One question, did you get the Marshall LCD in SG? From the pics, looks like it's the 4" V-LCD4-PRO. Right?

Ok. That's all.

Thank you in advance. Really appreciate all responses.

Regards,
Wei Mun

Ed Liew December 4th, 2004 07:02 PM

michael,
you are flying the rig without balancing it first? i would advice you find some reading material on this or get the steadicam video to help you get started. here is something to get you started http://www.steadicam-ops.com/docs/t_ultramanual_1-15.pdf not the same as our magiqcam but its a good reference and don't do the what was shown in the last picture.

wei mun,
i got the mon locally and made the connector box myself. it is one of the china made product. i got mine for rm460.00. the mon work very good even outdoor and i mean even under bright sunlight.
part of my magiqcam is with john. still waiting for him to reply my mail.

can you guys post some pics of the new gimbal?
thanks.

ed