Steadicam Scout at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 13th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #1
Trustee

Steadicam Scout

USD6995 for the basic system
Handles up to 18Ibs .. a nice segmentation with pro features

Another new system to get our $$ ha ha... Price is sexy but I wonder how it compares to a Zephyr and Flyer. I was set on Zephyr but the pricing is out of my expectation and they removed the C stand from the USD8995 basic kit.

Seems like this Vest is the same one as the Zephyr with a similar design as the Flyer stage and Pilot sled.
Hope to see some videos from IBC soon.
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Steadicam Scout

Looks like a scaled up version of the Pilot, with a movable lower spar.

But no ability to add screw-on weights to the stage, which is something I always use with the Pilot. Basicly, no matter what camera and accessories I fly, I keep the top weight pretty much the same by varying the number screw-on weights at the stage. I suppose you could also use weight plates between the camera and the dovetail plate, but that seems like it would take longer to move between sticks and steadicam.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #3
Trustee

Good point Dave. Didn't notice the lacking option for screw on weights.
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #4
Major Player

hmmmm very interesting...

so many options now.. yet, i still want a big rig.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Seems like a flyer arm and vest. I'm not sure what this is aimed at?? This sort of fits between the flyer and the pilot, which seems like a strange place to introduce a new product with the zepher out too. Maybe as an eventual total replacement for the pilot?
Robert Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Major Player

The Zephyr will ultimately be way more usable this this. Much beefier build. I suspect you can get dynamic balance achieved with the Scout but you will have to be careful as the weigh options are limited on the lower spar although it does have an extendible post which will help in that regard. You can buy a Matthews or Avenger/Manfrotto C-stand for under $200 that would be WAY better than the one TIFFEN sells and you can use it with good sized light when you aren't flying your rig. With the docking bracket you can use any decent light stand as the base for the mounting bracket.

Accessories increase the weight of the rig dramatically and once you get into operating a rig you will find all of a sudden you need a lot of outboard gear that you never dreamed you would need.

I run an EX3 and with accessories I am at the top of the weight range of my Flyer. I really need a bigger rig.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone
I run an EX3 and with accessories I am at the top of the weight range of my Flyer. I really need a bigger rig.
I've flown an EX3 on my Pilot with a shotgun, wireless mic, and wireless video, and the arm was level.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...ion-ex3_1t.jpg

Do you power the EX3 from the sled? Do you remove the EVF hood? What accessories are you using?
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wall View Post
Seems like a flyer arm and vest. I'm not sure what this is aimed at?? This sort of fits between the flyer and the pilot, which seems like a strange place to introduce a new product with the zepher out too. Maybe as an eventual total replacement for the pilot?
They are gong the Sony way... segmentizing the market further with payload. Pilot will stay. I just wonder why they didnt give the optional weights to the stage. But then again, the Zephyr is the same isnt it.
Old September 17th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #9
Regular Crew

The Scout specs are about identical to the Flyer LE. The vest is the same, the arm looks the same and specs the same as the all-but-most-recent Flyer arms. They use Pilot components in the bottom spar because the Pilot design is a clever, lower-cost way to achieve dynamic balance easily.

Unlike the Zephyr, the Scout appears to be an SD-only sled...maybe the coax and BNC are HD-SDI rated but they don't advertise them as such. From the pics it seems that maybe the Scout's gimbal is not tool-less and the Zephyr's is, but the brochures are unclear.

So, my quess it that the Scout replaces the Flyer...expect the Flyer to go away soon, it is redundant.

The Zephyr's specs seem to be beefing up to 24-pound payload. If confirmed, that separates it from the Scout. Also has a lot more connections (power and video), is HD-ready and so-on. All this helps it bridge the gap between the Flyer and the Archer2. But it shares (in a clever re-purposing) bottom stage components with the Scout, reducing manufacturing costs. Zephyr brochure shows and describes a "continuation of the Flyer vest" but Youtube videos have surfaced with what look like prototype or modified vests with chest ratchet buckles instead of the Flyer-style snap-clips and velcro.
Mark Schlicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
You can buy a Matthews or Avenger/Manfrotto C-stand for under $200 that would be WAY better than the one TIFFEN sells.
The old "Steadi-stands" were bunk. The newer Flyers ship with short turtle-base c-stands that I heard were comparable to the Matthews (or maybe are??) The short post on those stands make it possible to stow in the case just like the old stands.
Mark Schlicher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)