VariZoom DV Sportster for XL2 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 9th, 2005, 03:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

VariZoom DV Sportster for XL2 ?

Hi all

A while back ago I made what i believe is the biggest bummer buy ever, I bought a glidecam 4000 pro. I did not get a chance to try before buy, and I was worried the rig would be too heavy for me to carry as Im not that strong.

So, after testing it a bit I found myself to never use it. It took too long to balance, and when done I was not able to shoot for more than 30 secconds before it became too heavy for me.

Now I see that varizoom has made this vest, but before I order one I'd like to hear if anyone has any experience with it. Will it cover dust next to my glidecam, or will it finaly make me able to use it for something ?
Anders Risvold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 05:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Have you looked at the glidecam smooth shooter which is an arm and vest designed to be used with the 2000 and 4000 Pro. I've not used one myself but have heard it's very good.

It might be worth checking out before going with the dv sportster.

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 01:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi, thanks for the tip.

I will look into that
Anders Risvold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Actually, I made that same mistake. I ordered the DV Sportster because the advertisement said it works with the Glidecam 4000 Pro. Unfortunately, I assumed it would also carry the XL2's weight along with it. Nope. The camera itself is about 8 pounds; add a monitor, battery pack, and other do-dads, and the camera itself is about ten pounds...plus the sled...equals a lot more than what the Sportster can handle.

The price is very enticing, but, to be quite frank, I'd rather spend $700 more and get the Smooth Shooter (which IS designed for the XL2 and 4000 Pro) than risk my $5000 camera equipment on my cheapness.
Vishad Dewan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)