Merlin Bearings Flaw? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old April 10th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Merlin Bearings Flaw?

Hey folks!

I've been digging my new Merlin (though I've yet to find a perfect setting for the Xh-A1, cookbook settings still appreciated!) but I ran into a problem last weekend. The handle/gimbel popped out after setting the merlin down on a table. I examined the handle, panicked, but only say two small bearings on the little connector piece. I popped it back in, and it worked just fine, no difference that I could tell. I had noticed that the handle seemed to like to hang down or not, depending on if there was weight on it, but I assumed this looseness was normal.
Anyway, on Saturday I was doing a shoot with my workplace out in a field, using my Merlin. Well, low and behold, as I stopped using the merlin after a shot (at night, of course, sigh) and held it by the stage, the handle fell out completely! Nothing had caused it to pop or pull out, I simply had let go of it and was holding the camera by itself. I managed to find the handle, but it had only one bearing on it this time.
Long story short I couldn't find the missing one. Has anyone had this problem, or have any advice on what to do? I'm at a loss.

Thanks for any help!
Byron Huskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Give the Steadicam folks a shout....they're very responsive for fixing those things if still under warranty (should be as you just got it).
Geoff Dills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, sounds like a waranty issue. Give Tiffen/Steadicam a call and they will get you fixed up in no time.

- Mikko
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

loose handle

Same this happened to ours...A student took it out and when it came back the handle/gimbal was no longer attached.

I have an e-mail into Frank Rush at Tiffen...hopefully it's an easy fix.

Will post when I hear back.
Steve Minnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Tiffen got back to me already...they will fix it under warranty! just have to send it back to them in CA.

Kyle Young is the man you need to contact (if you haven't already)
Steve Minnick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)