Frustrated! Venting! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 19th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I'm an FCP user...
YAY! I figured at least one of us monitoring here was FCP savvy. thanks Craig for chiming in. Good luck, Kell!
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I'm trying to attach a small demo video under 5MB to show you but the forum keeps telling me the size is too big. I've tried MOV and WMV and keep the frame size small. I'll try some frame grabs instead but I do wish the video attach feature worked.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #18
Major Player

Have you tried hosting it on something like photobucket.com and embedding it?
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #19
Inner Circle

First for screenshots
Right Click on Sequence and select Settings
In Sequence Settings Tab change to Multimedia Large which gives you 320x240 Sequence.
Edit Source Clip into Sequence selecting NO to prevent sequence from resizing to fit shot.
See the initial size of clip in Sequence. Note it looks very small even though this is a HiDef clip in 320x240 Sequence.
Attached Thumbnails
Frustrated!  Venting!-sequencesetting.jpg   Frustrated!  Venting!-changesequencesetting.jpg  

Frustrated!  Venting!-dropbigclipinsequence.jpg   Frustrated!  Venting!-initialsize.jpg  

Old January 20th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Make sure Wireframe is turned on and grab edge to dolly in and see empty chair. Notice how small man at podium was in last shot of previous post.
Grab image to move left
or move right.
Notice how I can go from man at podium left to seated panel right side of stage.
See last shot of previous post for initial shot which is everyone on stage.
Attached Thumbnails
Frustrated!  Venting!-grabwireframezoomin.jpg   Frustrated!  Venting!-grabimagemoveleft.jpg  

Frustrated!  Venting!-grabimagemoveright.jpg  
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #21
Inner Circle

You can double click shot in sequence to load it into viewer (changes it from source clip to sequence clip).
You can then click on the Motion Tab and adjust Scale to dolly in (or out) also. As long as scale does not go above 100 (100%) you have no image degradation.

You can see how having big source in little timeline gives you the ability to dolly (zoom) in/out and track (pan) left/right.

This example is the most extreme using 1080 HiDef in 320x240 Sequence.
You can see how having a HiDef camera and a locked tripod shot (no camera movement at all!!!) and you can move shot in, out, left, right. You could grab all sorts of clips and never have to move the camera during the shoot. You can move the shot around to change framing.

Basically if you're only going to web, you make the sequence the size you want to encode to and you have lots of movement flexibility. Of course if you need to also make a full size DVD they you need to edit at full size and lose that flexibility. That's why I like an HD camera. You can go to Standard Def for DVD hand some flexibility and go to web and have even more flexibility.

As Bryan notes the steps may be different for different NLEs but the principle is the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Frustrated!  Venting!-doubleclicksequencetoviewer.jpg   Frustrated!  Venting!-motiontabscalezoomstoo.jpg  

Old January 20th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Or to make it easy to visualize.
I can go from wide to medium to close up or track/pan right to the panel.
ALL POSSIBLE SHOTS USING A SINGLE FRAME OF VIDEO WITH NO CAMERA MOVEMENT AT ALL!
Attached Thumbnails
Frustrated!  Venting!-wide.jpg   Frustrated!  Venting!-medium.jpg  

Frustrated!  Venting!-trackrighttopanel.jpg  
Attached Images

Old January 20th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I wanted to upload video. As you can see stills are no problem. If I can upload small video clips we could have a collection of tutorials to refer to. I posted in the DVInfo announce list so Chris Hurd can tell me wazup. Chris just responded that he's working on the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty View Post
Have you tried hosting it on something like photobucket.com and embedding it?
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:42 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I put the video version of the tutorial on Vimeo. Click and enjoy.

Final Cut Pro Big Pic Small Timeline on Vimeo
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #25
Major Player

Thank very much you guys, that's a cool tool!
I think he is going to use the other clips anyway but I'm really glad to know how to do this for future reference.
=)
Kell Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business