Advice on selling, please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 3rd, 2003, 01:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Advice on selling, please

Hello,
I have a Sony DSR PDX10 with 4-6 hour battery and Portabrace bag that I would like to sell, and I'm looking for advice.
I bought it new from B&HPHOTO almost two months ago and have used it for no more than 10 hours. It is in perfect shape, aside from fingerprints on the touch screen menu :-), and has undergone no close calls or general thumps of any kind. I'm selling it because I can't afford a DVX100 otherwise. You understand, I'm sure.
I have never sold anything online before. What is a good price for a hardly used $2000 cam, $170bag and $90battery? And how do I set up for the transaction? Thanks so much in advance,
Regards,
Shawn

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 01:49 AM   #2
Outer Circle

I'd drop about $400 of today's price. Why do you want the DVX100? It's a slightly better cam in some respects, but you won't have good 16:9, DVCAM nor manual slow shutter settings.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 02:23 AM   #3
Major Player

Frank,
I will miss great 16;9, for now, it's true. I need those bigger chips, for one thing: better low light. I want the wider range of abilities for various projects/jobs-to-be. I will get a second cam at some point, next year, perhaps the PDX10 again. Thanks for helping me check in with my decision making, though. I'm quite sure about this.

Old October 3rd, 2003, 11:14 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Shawn,
If you assume a 3-year life for this kit and if there are no mechanical or cosmetic issues, you would realistically discount its price by about $65 per month of ownership. This would be your top-dollar price.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 12:41 PM   #5
Major Player

Huh! Thanks, Ken. I am curious as to how/where you get the $65 number. Just general sales experience? If you were me what would you sell this mini kit for (there are positively no mechanical or cosmetic issues with any of the three items) ?
Is there a best way to set up for the transaction? Paypal, that sort of thing? How is it done?

Old October 3rd, 2003, 12:48 PM   #6
Outer Circle

As soon as you buy a cam, and crack the box open, the cam is not new. You have to take a loss in order to sell it, bottom line.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 02:14 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Shawn,
All I did was to use a straight-line 3 year depreciation on the rough values of the kit. ($2200 / 36 months) I bumped up the figure to $65. In the case of this equipment, however, I would be prepared to discount from that figure.

I've sold gear using PayPal, bank drafts and money orders. If using PayPal be aware of their commission.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 04:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks, Ken. Do you have a sense of which method buyers might be more comfortable with? I am at this point an unknown seller.

Old October 3rd, 2003, 04:55 PM   #9
Wrangler

If you are looking to squeeze every last penny out of it, sell the bag and extra battery seperatly. You won't really get any more for your camera if you include them with it.
Old December 21st, 2003, 10:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Its worth every penny your asking...i wish i didnt already have one or i would buy it from you...ive never been more excited about any camera in my life the pdx10 rocks !!! if i had a vx2000 it probably would be used as my 2nd camera
Old December 22nd, 2003, 04:09 AM   #11
Major Player

I appreciate your encouragement and enthusiasm, and I couldn't agree with you more, which is why I decided to keep my PDX10 :-) .
And, indeed, my second cam will be, well, not a vx2000, but a PD170. Together, they shall make beeeeautiful music!

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business