My Bank Robbery Footage.. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 26th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #31
Regular Crew

The Weather Channel stuff I deal thru a stock video house that handles the TWC stuff, all done via the internet, he does the all the billing, pitches the video and also deals with some of the other major network and cable outlets. He takes 25% for handling and then sends the balance via paypal.. very slick system. As far as gear, I shoot on a Sony VX2100, a couple of different sets of sticks depending on the situation- how much setup tima and how mobile I have to be :) Sennheiser SHotgun, wired uni stick, and two wireless lavs, 50/100 watt bescor top light which I rarely use since the VX has such great low light capability. I usually only deal with the one station locally, the market is pretty well spread out, and of the four stations in our market, this is the only one that is actually in town, the others are 40 min to an hour out, and only one of them has a bureau that is open past regular business hours LOL... we're a mid 90's market. On soft news, it all depends on what the package is intended to be used for. Usually I'm alon in the field, and handle any questions, sometimes there are some prepared questions they give me to fit a package, sometimes it's just the nat sound, or the SOT is part of a speech, or meeting discussions. A lot of the questions are asked off camera just for background if I have a pretty good idea the story is going to be a VO only. If there is some compelling reason on breaking news I may do the interview on cam. I shot three or four stories about reserve units returning from overseas and did some basic interviews with a couple of the reservists.. those were easy to do with those guys... What stuck out most in your mind in <insert country here> ; What is the first thing you are going to do now that you are back stateside. etc...
Breaking news for fires and accidents are usually the basics.. cause, anyone home at the time ( fire), number and extent of injuries, special concerns or risks during the operation etc...
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:10 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Hey Everyone,
The producer returned my phone call this past Friday. I guess thats a good sign. I left him a message about working there last week. I just returned his phone call saturday, now its phone tag. I hope he has good news!. I'll keep you up to date. Hopefully there looking for photog's.

I just got off the phone with the producer. He said to send him a "demo" reel of what Ive done. I told him I want to get into the business and want to be a photographer.

He said to send it to him and he will talk a look at it.

So, I got another step in hopefully.

Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 04:49 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Well Kevin. I have read the last couple of pages of the this thread since I posted last and what I thought would happen did happen. I didn't say anything when Chris Murphy told you to do all of the song and dance for these news folks because a) you could have gotten your lucky break and done alot of work for them and b) I wanted to let plenty of time pass to see how it played out before I spoke too soon because things can turn around real quick in this industry for whatever reasons. Chris has great intentions but unfortunately that's not the way the news industry works or the direction it's going. I just don't think that he should say "all you have to do is..." like it's text book to be a news shooter and most importantly get paid. However, any or all of what he said could very well happen. What works for one does not work for all though. It is a lot of hit and miss as you are now seeing. The reason that you're not getting called back is because they ARE NOT interested. Believe me, when they want you or what you have, you can't get them to leave you alone. Every person's experience with them is unique. A few years ago, I went through the same thing that you are now. I shot something, gave it away just for the thrill and then a few years later shot for actual money making 250.00 to 300.00 per story. Then, it dried up this past year and Atlanta is a top 10 market. The stories didn't disappear, but the budgets did. Thank goodness I don't shoot news as an independent for a living! These folks that called and called and payed and payed just disappeared. This was because of management turnover (oh yes, starting over building relationships) and budget cutting. I could go on and on about what I know and what I've been told by the news directors and shooters, full time and freelance. Nothing comes easy unless you just get lucky and it all falls into place at the right time and that is very possible. This game of phone tag DOES NOT stop. So you need to find an alternative in this industry to make a living and/or just enjoy what you're doing. Remember they will only call you or talk to you IF and only if they are interested in what you have. It is important to know that this is not just happening to you but to seasoned pros as well. The turnover rate in the news business is kind of high and that is for a reason, low pay and long hours. There is hope though. If you get some really dramatic and exclusive footage that absolutely noone else has, watch how fast they respond and call and call and CALL. This will be your opportunity to actually make some money. Don't let them intimidate you or fast talk you out of that footage because they want it and all you have to lose if you walk is the time it took to shoot it. When they try to low ball you on the rate, the best bargaining method that I have found is to make sure that they have your phone number and then simply and calmly say okay, thanks for the offer, let me check with my other clients and see where they stand. At that time they will realize that you are for real and if they don't pay, they ain't gonna get it or even worse their competition may get it. They can't stand that scenario. You need to make them think that you've done this a million times before and it's just another story for you. They can sense when you don't have a clue and that's when they get you. Even so, sometimes even with the threat of losing it to the competition, they may just decline for any number of reasons. That's what I mean by hit or miss. Now, as far as them accepting and using pre-edited footage, why? I don't know of any news organization that wants or expects edited footage. They will want to cut it to their specific needs and time frames. Let them do the editing, you're not obligated to do that by default.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Darn,
Not the news I was hoping for. Ya on B-Roll.net I was talking to a guy whos a Photog / Microwave truck operator for a Fox Station up here and he said the he knows some photogs at NBC30 and that they said that some of their photogs are not that great and they are looking for some. Thats why I thought I maybe had / still have a chance.

I'm going to submit my demo reel and see what happens. The Producer said hes been busy b/c of the elections when we spoke. When he left a message he said that he was looking forward to taling to me so who knows. I'll let you guys know what goes on.

I just would die to be a photog, I just love the rush and all the attention of the camera LoL.

I'll continue to get "breaking" news around my area, if theres anything major. I'm about 1 hour from all the major cities, Hartford and New Haven where the stations are located, and their rarely out my way, so I can cover my area. Are there other peopel like me in other towns?

BTW what are these top 10 mkts? the higher the number the more news they cover? please explain

Well any advice please let me know. Thanks guys.
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:14 AM   #35
Regular Crew

The market value is the rating given to an area based on several things such as viewer population which can determine revenue from commercials. The lower the number the better the market value.
Old November 5th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Take a look at this thread from B-Roll.net. Great site by the way. This should give you an idea of what's going on at least with budgets anyway. You need to read every post on this thread.

http://www.b-roll.net/ubb/ultimatebb...c;f=4;t=000179
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #37
Regular Crew

A Update

I dropped my Demo CD off to NBC this past Sunday. I just got a call from the producer to whom I dropped the tape to, he called and was just letting me know that he will look at my tape by the end of the week and will give me a call. :-)

I was talking to a photog at another station and he mentiond that their looking for photogs at NBC, vacation relife people, etc.

I hope he likes what I have. Well see, I'll keep you posted.
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:20 PM   #38
Regular Crew

He received my demo reel and he liked it, he just mentioned that I should have a little bit more "natural sound" in it, I dont know what he meant by that. He asked if he has a copy of my resume, I said no, and he told me he would like to see it and send him a copy.
Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business