Do you bother with extended warranties? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 19th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #16
Major Player

'Are you of the school that if a monitor/camcorder/deck is going to have a problem, it'll probably be in the first year?'

No - it will work fine for a year and then develop problems..

'Do you think blowing $5000 on a camera and not going the extra $150 for a Mack is silly?'

Yes - pay the extra 3% and extend you rights to 3 or 5 years or whatever it is..

Then realise said rights are very limited. Treat your equipment like an old lady with a decked out chihuahua. Depend on forums like these. Whenever you're unsure about what to do/have a problem, turn to your friends in the forums.

Open a document on your computer and make entries every time you have an issue. If you ever do have to go to a service centre or use e-mail or phone numbers for product support, have your notes ready. Make it clear what you have already ruled out etc.

It's a legal fight - once you accept that horrific fact, they should decide to cover you.

Cynical, I know :)
Old December 19th, 2004, 05:03 PM   #17
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by John Galt : My extended warranty of my last Dodge car saved me about $5000 in air conditioing repairs, not to mention a $300 water pump and a $700 headlamp replacement. Best $1000 I ever spent. -->>>

Well, it is a DODGE.... What did you expect?????

:)
Old December 19th, 2004, 05:49 PM   #18
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper :

Well, it is a DODGE.... What did you expect?????

:) -->>>
I expected to get some value out of my $1000 warranty... I was right. :) What surprises me is that Jeep has been better.
Old December 19th, 2004, 09:14 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I bought my very last Dodge in 1993...... Learned my lesson with a Ramcharger that fell apart (literally). My wife didn't learn her lesson 'til 2000. Crap was breaking on that Stratus all the time. New Transmission, new fuel injector, two new electric window motors, etc., etc. all before the 3 year 36,000 mile factory warranty thank goodness. Worst part is my 1995 plain-jane C1500 Chevy manual tansmission extended cab work truck with 130,000 miles is worth more than twice as much as her loaded out 2000 Stratus with 50,000 miles...... and my truck was cheaper by $2000. Friends don't let friends drive Dodge. :-)

My thought has always been that if I need to purchase an extended warranty for a product, why should I buy that product in the first place. I'll look for something more reliable.
Old March 18th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #20
Regular Crew

My 2 cents is that if it is going to stay in your house, like a Television, Desktop Computer etc. It is probably not going to be a problem. I bought a TV and told those guys at best buy, that I was not interested. They make a killing off of selling people that crap and a lot of their salespeople won't accept no for an answere until you bark at them to back off. Which brings me to wonder. The guys at best buy claim they do not work on commision but I wonder what they get for selling the extended warrenties.

On the other hand, I got it for my XL2 because it will be taken all over the place and could need some kind of tweeking somewhere down the line.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business