I've done some good work -- now what? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 28th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Isaacs View Post
How did you first get in contact? Besides this site are social sites such as Facebook and Twitter important to you for developing these relationships? Did you meet at trade shows? Bump into each other at production sites or rental stores?
Primarily, we worked to together on some project or job and I was impressed with their skills, creativity, work ethic and/or attitude. Rule one; I don't recommend someone to a client unless I've actually worked with them and I'd hire them myself. It's a reflection on me if I make bad recommendation to a client. It's also a reflection on me if I make a good recommendation.
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #32
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick L. Allen View Post
Primarily, we worked to together on some project or job and I was impressed with their skills, creativity, work ethic and/or attitude. Rule one; I don't recommend someone to a client unless I've actually worked with them and I'd hire them myself. It's a reflection on me if I make bad recommendation to a client. It's also a reflection on me if I make a good recommendation.
Just like my dad used to say.
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:17 PM   #33
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Parkes View Post
Steve, I'm going to suggest that maybe you look at doing something completely different to what your thinking of doing - and that's this: Move sideways into the film and video industry while continuing the full time job you have.

By move sideways, I mean there is no reason for you to start at the bottom of videography, if you can take some of your existing skill base and apply that to the videography world, and also start to use your growing videography skills in your existing role.
Thanks Craig. Good suggestions. Something to think about for sure.

Actually, I did find I like Action Script or After Effects expressions/scripting. When BIOS works nobody notices, when it doesn't work everybody complains. A successful BIOS is one where no-one knows it's there. It's a rare person I can talk to about the day doing BIOS stuff. Action Script or After Effects scripting gives that instant gratification and something my wife could look at and be impressed with.

At one time I was tempted to do templates for After Effects or DVD/Blueray menus.
Old March 30th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #34
Major Player

Steve - I'd definitely suggest looking into that then, as well as maybe scripting for 3D programs like Maya (MEL scripting is based on C++ I believe)

There is lots of creative problem solving there that could probably use your expertise that has highly visible, and impressive results.

Blu Ray and DVD menus also have a lot in common with BIOS in the regard you mention - when they work probably almost no one notices, and it's hard to appreciate the true amount of foresight that goes into making really good ones, and I'm sure your background will make it easier for you to pick up on the details of the white papers describing the back end architecture that both are built upon, which is key to being able to get them working in a real environment.
Old August 12th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #35
Major Player

Steve

I've read through this whole thread with interest and empathy. I moved sideways from a boring cube job into developing software to solve engineering problems at the boring job I had.
After 5 years and over 100k expendentures, I had several products on the market and was pulling in about 20-30k a year in sales. What I lacked was capital to hire enough people to actually grow the company and expand and grow. I did it all myself.....the up side is I learned programming and now have a lucrative software job.
My point is I'm kinda where you are....I want to do the creative but it can't pay like the regular software gig pays so here I return to make money to pay the bills.
What my wife and I are doing now is she runs the business - though we shoot together and do weddings etc as they come up.
Perhaps your wife could maintain the business at first and you keep the daytime job til you sufficiently book up and you just don't have time for the daytime job anymore - then walk away.
Takes longer but I hear you when you say the expenses depand a certain level of income. I'm not using the daytime job to get that solved so that I can live at a lower income but still do what I want to do creatively.
I'm no business person either!
Good luck - you're not alone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business