Progressive video on a consumer camcorder, an idea - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old June 7th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Okay so that was a big non-event.

I don't even think I got the codec recognised as being able to be used - certainly not for capturing DVCPro50. Maybe it has to be a distincly DVCPro50 stream if there is such a thing - and only then will it be recognised.

Anyway, a couple of distinctions - clearly capturing the live output from the fw port results in no greater image size - as I suspected, the image/signal has already gone through all of its compression/resizing etc. before it ever gets to the port so that's that. Goes back to what i said before - only a mod like the "Juan and only" is building to grab the signal off the chips that is going to change anything.

On the upside, I had a really good look at the difference between the two filters the camera uses for the 'still' mode and the video (D.Wide) mode. They both provide the same FOV - i.e. use the entire chip area BUT (and this was a surprise to me) the image from the video mode is definitely softer and IMO not as good as that in 'still' mode. There is a lot more detail when running in the photo capture mode. It is a little 'harder' as I alluded to before - but in terms of retaining detail, I think it's actually better than the video mode.

You'd have to experiment with your particular camera but it would be little hassle to connect something like a Quickstream DV disc to the camera in still capture mode and record the signal directly thru firewire - for what I can see as a better image than that ending up on the Minidv tape. And of course there's the 'progressive' image signature thing happening aswell.

Best,

DW.
David Warrilow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production