Food Network shows using film look at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 10th, 2004, 11:03 PM   #1
New Boot

Food Network shows using film look

Does anyone know which cameras the Food Network is using for shows that have a film look such as, Ciao America with Mario Batali, Everyday Italian, and Boy Meets Grill with Bobby Flay? The Food Network seems to be presenting more shows with film looks than any other network.
James Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

For someone who hasn't seen any of these shows, how would you describe "film look," James? I'm just wondering what you mean by that.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 11:33 AM   #3
New Boot

The shows have the look of other shows I've seen broadcast that use Canon frame mode and Panasonic DVX100 24p. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what cameras the Food Network shows are using.
James Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 08:57 PM   #4
Major Player

My guess would be that they use a Panasonic SDX-900 DVCPRO50 or something like that. It can do 24p.
Old April 11th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Good Eats

I know that Good Eats was shot with the XL-1/s about 2-3 years ago but there wasn't enough resolution with them so they moved to the JVC 500 and have probably upgraded to the 5000 by now. They also seemed to have shot normal video, then a progressive look and now back to normal video. The shows that I've seen lately look very warm and soft like a Soft FX or Pro Mist.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 11:45 AM   #6
Major Player

While we are on the same subject...

What is "Nigella Bites" shot on? Is that film? High definition?

When I used to see this show on E! I always marveled at the wonderful cinematography of the show...

Of course, photographing a beautiful woman like Nigella Lawson doesn't hurt either...
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #7
Trustee

A friend of mine did a shoot a little bit ago with the food network (or for a pilot on the food network, and they used the dvx100. Don't know if that helps any, but thought I'd through it out there.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:53 AM   #8
Trustee

Once in a while you can catch a glimps of a cam. It appears they use mostly ENG style cams. Definately 1/2" or 2/3" 3chippers. They all have the same body style so it is hard to tell as the JVC. Pana, Sony all look the same. They probably do some post work but not much. Guaranteed they aren't using a 1/3" ccd cam, and they sure as hell aren't shooting 24p.
Ken
Old June 7th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Debbie Travis' facelif on HGTV

Has anyone seen this show? Debbie Travis' Facelift on HGTV? They seem to use in some shots Mini DV cameras.....They allways show the crew behind the scenes, its really neat show its 1hour long, looks like they use some brand I cant tell they all look the same.
Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production