Simple effect that is baffling me.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old December 22nd, 2006, 05:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Simple effect that is baffling me....

Hello!

I watched a lot of waverlyfilms.com productions lately, and there's a very quirky piece about a cowboy ghost appearing in the background layered over a man sat in a chair. The coyboy is cut to appear with the music, and without masking, i dont know how this is achieved. He seems to interact with the character too, which add's another layer of "how does that work?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nFFzAtnPJI

I'm not desperate to produce flickering cowboy films...yet. But it would be great to know how to shoot/post this effect.

Thank you for any advice, comments.

Neil
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Here's my best guess:

85% looks to be done with two different shots, one w/ guy and one w/ cowboy and it would have had to been masked a bit where the two characters share the same space.

Then at the end when the cowboy becomes solid they are both in the same shot. This part still could have been done with masks but it would have been a lot of work.

join this forum and do a search on clone tutorials by 98watso and he shows how to have two separate videos interacting.

http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/
Michael Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah that was my first diagnosis on it, i find it hard to think that somebody has spent so much time masking a cowboy though!

thanks for the comment. I'll check out the website,

Neil
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2006, 02:18 AM   #4
Major Player

I dont know why they woulda spent so much time masking it?
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Actually in Adobe After Effects it wouldn't take long to mask that scene. You don't have to do the whole cowboy, just where the images overlap. The editing software makes that quite easy. Again try you find those tutorials I referred to and you'll see how easy it can be, with practice of course.
Michael Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

It looks pretty simple to me.

I'd have shot the whole scene with the chair man and the cowboy straight through with the chair man pretending he can't see him. Then I'd get a plate shot with no actors and roto where appropriate. There isn't too much masking involved from what I see.
Jacob Ehrichs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production