Hello from Vancouver - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 13th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #316
Regular Crew

What's up from Vancouver, BC, Canada

I'm taking my first steps into feature length film with a whole bunch of friends, and thought this would be a cool place to be able to ask for advice etc! I've made all sorts of shorts with a cruddy consumer panasonic, which have really taught me an appreciation for proper lighting, a nice story and good cuts, because with picture that bad you're gonna need everything else!

So when I told my friend that it would be cool to make a feature length, he was totally on board. What kind of movie did we want to make? Horror! We've done all sorts of comedies, but horror was what we'd never tried. Funny too, since he loves horror movies. So what's the scariest thing we could think of? Well, zombies. I've always loved those squishy monsters since I first played Resident Evil, and I've finally got a chance to take my own spin on 'em. Furthermore, I've got 30 or so extras waiting to donn their zombie gear.

Now I've just gotta piece together how to make a high quality movie by the time shooting starts late August. My gear so far...

Canon XL2

It's gonna take my former panasonic camcorder cameraman a while to figure this thing out, but we've got three months of test shoots ahead of us, so fingers crossed. The thing that doesn't scare me is lighting. I've got that down pat. The thing that does scare me is audio. I originally thought I'd borrow/lend/rent another XL2, and then use Audio from only one of them. Then I heard I should be using a shotgun mic on a boom. Ok, cool. But THEN I heard that it needs to be wired into a mixer, or something. I always thought I could just wire it into one of the XL2s?

Can't wait to start shooting!
Kyle Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #317
RED Code Chef

Hi Kyle, welcome aboard DV Info Net, it's good to have you with us!

Good luck with your movie,

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #318
Regular Crew

Hey peeps,

Old post, but I figured I'd chime in. I'm also from Vancouver (Ditchmond technically).

I've always been interested in the video scene ever since highschool (9 years ago).

Infact, (I'm probably embarrassing myself by posting this, compared to the caliber posted on these forums), but for several years I ran a website (still live) called Goonish.com . It was a joint site that I good friend of mine and I (along with a few others) posted several short videos that we put together. Some of the videos were recorded with a Sony Hi8 (ek!), then finally miniDV (canon) and finally a better XL1S.

Editing wasn't our strong point, but we did our best. We still keep the site live, just to have a good laugh every now and then. Have a look thru, and enjoy.

Right now, I finally have a HV20 after my long issue trying to get my HV10 fixed by Future Shop. I'm looking at learning the ins/outs of this camera, and using this camera to record some behind the scene shoots as I shoot wedding photography.
Amish Solanki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #319
Major Player

Hi there,

Looking for a shooter for Nov 4th afternoon. Please email me and I'll tell you about the gig. If you are interested in learning about dating and seduction, even better.

Thanks.
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:23 AM   #320
Major Player

yo yo guys.. hahahaha the crew...

nov 4 u say, i would help u out but i cant make it.
Saturnin Kondratiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #321
Major Player

Hey there, just thought I'd check in and see who is still around.

I may be shooting some for fun projects coming up, early 2008, if anyone would like to come on and help, let me know asap.

I shoot with a PDX10, but would love to shoot with a PD170. Anyone have one? No, haven't needed to make the HD jump yet.

Email me back directly, audio90@shaw.caNOSPAM.

Best,

Ronald
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #322
Major Player

i'm always around dude... have a good new year
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #323
Major Player

Hi Sat! Happy holidays.

Didn't they amputate your leg? With crutches, you are like your own tripod!

heeee
Old December 27th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #324
Major Player

i'm 80% done doing my 2nd bike doc.. be out in summer 08

check out trailer

http://youtube.com/watch?v=06i5nBhVqXc
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #325
Major Player

WTB: any cheap miniDV camcorder to use as a deck

WTB: any cheap miniDV camcorder to use as a deck

I am looking for a cheap (like $50ish) miniDV camera to use as a deck. I'd prefer Sony, as my tapes were taped on a Sony, but any is fine.

I know that a lot of us here will probably have an old miniDV camcorder that is just sitting around. If you want to sell it, please email me, audio90@shaw.caNOSPAM.

Of course it's gotta be working, with firewire. I am in Vancouver.
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #326
Major Player

did u check out cragislist yet? i odnt know if u can get one for 50 bux but i'm sure 150-200 will score u a unit
Old March 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #327
Major Player

Any shooters with camera in Abbotsford? I am looking for someone on the weekend of March 28-30. email me at audio90@shaw.caNOSPAM if you are there and available.
Old March 4th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #328
Major Player

ya let me know what u need ron, i should be in town.

cheers
SAT
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #329
Tourist

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself, I am a 17 year old videographer hailing from Port Coquitlam, which is a suburb of Vancouver. I have been looking at this forum for a while now, there are so many knowledgable people and so much useful information to be found. I finally decided to join myself.

I co-run a wedding videography business, if anyone wants to check it out it is www.stonethrowstudios.ca .

Glad to be a part of this community,

Matt Pothecary
Matt Pothecary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #330
Major Player

Ok, anyone want to help with a shoot this weekend in Abbotsford? Really simple shoot. You bring the camera and I'll supply tapes.

Let me know if you can help, audio90@shaw.caNOSPAM ASAP.
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood