Goin to Las Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old August 9th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Goin to Las Vegas

I'll be in Vegas starting tomorrow through the weekend. Any one from there want to hook up? I should be free in the evenings.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Joe, are you there for the WEVA Expo? I had wanted to go but couldn't make it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

No, but I'm staying at the Hilton where the WEVA expo is going on.

I'm here for ............

The Official Star Trek convention running through sunday.

It's my first ever.
Already ran into a few 'characters', looks like it's going to be fun.
(And no I don't have a uniform or anything like that).
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #4
ChorizoSmells

I'd take Star Trek over WEVA any day. I dragged my wife there to the Star Trek attraction at the Hilton a few years ago, still have the photo of us with
taken with the Ferengi. BTW, Gene Roddenberry was a Texan, was born in my hometown of El Paso, saw an article about him in the El Paso newspaper when I went back one time when they had a Star Trek convention in EL Paso.
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #5
Wrangler

Did someone say Star Trek?

LOL! Joe, you and I have waaaay too much in common! :) That sounds like it'll be pretty entertaining (and I'm relieved that you don't have a uniform or Klingon outfit).

Don't suppose you'll be heading north to visit the relatives, will you? If so, let me know and I'll buy ya something cool to drink.

Have a great time (you will--resistance is futile), live long and prosper, make it so, and all that good Trek stuff. :)
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

I'm a huge fan of The Original Series... that is, the five or six episodes that were worth watching (just kidding, I liked all of TOS, even the bad ones). I've seen that whole thing at the Hilton, very impressive, must be Horta heaven for Trekkers.

Old August 10th, 2005, 11:59 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
must be Horta heaven for Trekkers.
Funny, yet a bit unsettling that I knew what you were talking about. ;)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...TDevilDark.jpg
Old August 11th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Hey, you've gotta love a 60,000 year old solitary egg-laying rock-dweller, even if she is stuck all the way the heck out there on Janus VI.

Old August 11th, 2005, 01:18 AM   #9
Wrangler

Dang! You'd be a hit at ST conventions! (I oughta know--I've been to one.) I was more into the laugh-out-loud dialogue, though. My son and I entertain each other with well-placed quotes now and then.

Maybe Joe can bring you back one of those eggs.
Old August 11th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Rick, I've already met people from Australia and Europe. Apparently, if you're going to go to only one Trek Convention, this is the one (so I've been told about a dozen times, hehe). Just about all the folks connected with all the series are here, from all the Captains down to the occasional guest star. The only one who didn't make it is Jonathon Frakes because of a film commitment in South Africa I heard. Even Shatner is here this year. If they have Horta eggs for sale, I'll get one and send it to Chris. (boy, talk about brown nosing...).

Lorinda, I'm thinking about a diversion trip, I'll let you know.

I like all the series, but for the record I liked DS9 the best. I bought a ticket to get Avery Brooks autograph. Hopefully I'll get to meet others from the cast, especially Colm Meany though I like them all.
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Little update here.
Finally met Chase Masterson at one of the autograph tables. She's even better looking in person than in her photos. Convention not as big as I thought it would be, anime/comiccons are far larger and have more going on. Not complaining though.
Old August 13th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Surprising info since I've been here. Lots and lots of attractive seemingly normal women are huge fans of Star Trek. Denise Crosbys 2 docs didn't mention that little tid bit (she showed weirdos and freaks, not the normal intelligent people who make up the majority of people who come here). I would say women are at least 50% of the total attending, including lots of mothers and daughters here to see Kate Mulgrew. So much for that 18 to 49 male demographic.

I do have an autographed photo of an Orion Slave girl if anyone is interested (If I bring that one home, my wife will NOT be happy).

One last thing....
For those of you who like Avery Brooks (Captain Sisco on DS9), he is currently rehearsing a play at the shakespeare theater in Washington DC. If you're down in that area (very close to China town) don't be surprised if you see him.

Last edited by Joe Carney; August 13th, 2005 at 08:18 PM.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood