My first post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old December 6th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Tourist

My first post

Hello everyone! New to cameras, new to video, where's the newbie section?

Holy cow, what did I do? I had some money and spent it all on a Panasonic HPX255 and now am struggling, my first professional camcorder. I have two 32G P2 SD cards with the adapters so I am limited with my capacity.

Where is the best place to learn about professional video and the equipment used?

Thanks!

-John
John Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: My first post

John Carson...welcome aboard! Speaking for myself, DVInfo is a wonderful resource for all things video. I was (am) like you, new to video. While 30-years of 'stills photography' gives me a leg-up understanding f/stops, shutter-speed, lighting etc., it didn't exactly prepare me for the wild world of video.

My first challenge? Understanding how important audio is to video. And at some point, you'll begin asking questions about 'tripods'. Man, are you in for a fun ride! Back your ears down and get your checkbook ready. : )

Have fun and get very familiar with the 'Search' feature of the website. Trust me, if you can think of it, someone has asked the question before.

Most of the people on DVI are generous with their knowledge. Several of the 'professionals' that contribute regularly have taken pity on me, suggesting different courses of action and they've kept me from making fundamental mistakes.

I hope your experience learning about DV is as much fun for you as it's been for me.

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Trustee

Welcome John,

That is a heck of a choice for your first camera. The camera is only the center of your new tool kit. As James mentioned the next most important tool is a good tripod. The very first thing that separates pro looking video from amateur shots is steadiness. None of us hold a little box in our hands and run around shooting great video. I am not saying we don't do it at all but at least for me cameras are stabilized one way or another whenever possible. When you do shoot handheld you will learn tricks like leaning against walls or posts, anything that does not move.

I am one of those guys that has been in the business so long I sometimes forget there are guys that do what I do just for the fun of it. I hang out at DVINFO to be inspired by guys like you. I am also not a guru. The guys here have help me understand a thousand dilemmas I grappled with. And just when you think your getting a grip on understanding the technology it will all change.

Video production is a craft that requires the left brain to to turn the wild creativity of the right brain into a tangible reality. Techno geek or artist, there is something in it for everyone. Your mileage may vary.

Welcome Aboard,

Steve
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Welcome John,
I've been doing video for 30+ years and 12 years as a still photog before that. Guess what...I'm still learning. Guys that have been doing it for 30 days have things to contribute, guys like Steve Diggs and Chris Harding and Steven Davis and Charles Papert have lots of things to contribute...Guys that don't even own a camera can and do contribute.
Search first, then ask, take it all in, use what works for you file the rest for future reference and keep in mind that this video thing is like riding a bike. You fall off, get back on, ride a few feet and fall off again. You either get back on again or run away screaming...either way, you find out a lot about yourself.
It's a fun business, frustrating business, stick a fork in your eye business and if you have to work, like playing with the toys, enjoy interacting with other people and can sometimes live on less money that a big box store greeter, than this is the business for you.
I'm being a bit cynical here but then that's how I am. It's really a great business. Learn, learn, learn...never stop doing that and remember your passion for doing this.
Welcome to the wonderful wacky world of video!
Old December 9th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Welcome too John!

Don has un-officially retired from video now but is the sort of person that will stay on the forum for many years to come to impart his knowledge to those that need it. Remember to keep a watch on not only the Panasonic forum in your case but also check out other sections too which can be just as applicable as the camera forums. I do weddings and Real estate so the wedding and events forum helps me keep in touch plus whatever edit system you are using there is a forum for that too!!

Great place to learn and being international, if you ask a question before bedtime you will awake the next morning with replies and help from the other side of the world where it's day time!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Welcome on board, John. You have found the best place to learn.

Check out the DVC and UWOL video contest / challenge subforums here and come join us.
It is a great way to learn and have fun at the same time.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood