anyone from uk? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old January 2nd, 2006, 08:42 AM   #16
Trustee

Well guys, if you want some really good locations and you're prepared to travel west to Wales, then I can certainly help you out...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 09:55 AM   #17
Major Player

Me, Me

Yea I'm form the UK too, I live in the East Anglia Region :) we aint all farmer-boys !

Anhar
Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:04 PM   #18
New Boot

Robin, locations for what? surfing? I've been going to Abersoch for the last two summers. Really nice if the weather cooperates.
Chris Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:14 PM   #19
Trustee

Chris - can't help you with the weather, sorry, but for locations we've got rural, coastal,sand-dunes, mountains, lakes, rivers, streams, country houses, cities, villages etc. etc.
(and we shoot Doctor Who in Cardiff :-) )

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:32 PM   #20
New Boot

yeh its true, the country side is real nice, never really thought of doing filming there. Although we almost set up an editing suite there to edit our last project (not many distractions in rural wales!)
Old January 5th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hey everyone,

I'm based in Bournemouth University for the next year. I'm interested collaborating with anyone in the local area. You can see my latest film @ http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread.php?t=40167

I'm filming again in a month and might need some extra hands. Shooting using a mixture of stickypods, dvx and 35mm adapter.

Let me know if your interested.

Cheers,

Dan
www.mediafree.co.uk
Daniel Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 03:59 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Nice one Dan

Saw your short, really liked it mate, you have a good eye for composition ( or was that your cameraman?) , snappy edits.. what CC did you use? if any, colours were kinda de-saturated but still rich..

good stuff. ..

Q
Quinn OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Dan

That was really good. You can really empathize with the main character. Love the style, lots of closes up at first showing he's been cramped & squeezed, then wider shots towards the end showing his world opening up.

Did you use any 35mm adapters with that ?

Really liked it.
Declan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Nice one Dan

sorry posted twice - it cut out before
Quinn OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #25
Regular Crew

is it the camera that gave it the film look?
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 01:48 AM   #26
Old Boot

Dan superb work - truly superb. You're at Uni now, well somebody is gonna snap you up - quick time!

Your artistry and understanding of pace and moment have been carefully crafted. Your links with the audio and the movement of the actors is simple and as a result powerful. I see from the credits you've got a great team of people too.

Can you, like Quinn asked, flesh out some of the technical stuff? Please?

You've inspired me to do better - much better!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:43 AM   #27
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rog
is it the camera that gave it the film look?
He used a 35mm adaptor which created a shallower DOF. But the camera technique and post-production probably helped give a little more of a 'film look' too
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:06 AM   #28
Major Player

Essex.

Lovely place :)
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #29
Regular Crew

It was all shot digital. We used a Panasonic AJ-SDC615 DVCPRO cam with the standard lens. (no 35mm adapter)

( http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...odel=AJ-SDC615 )

Even though I dont post much I'm always reading this board, so a big thanks for the kind words.

As standard the camera had a fairly average depth of field. We just played around with the shutter speed, iris, focal distance and the distance of the camera from the subject to get the depth. I think one of the most important things in the 'film like' look is the lighting. I'm not an expert but I figure that if you use a 3 point lighting set-up your images weigh in alot more and the production values look alot greater.

There was a fair bit of post done - just to make the images look a bit nicer. Cold to Warm ect. Custom magic bullet presets were used on some of the footage. Also the sky at the end is completely fake and was composited in Shake.

Im shooting a ten minute film on the 3rd Feb. I've decided to go with a DVX100 and Wayne's SG35 adapter. This is the film that really counts so it's gotta be better than this one. I like the DVCPRO cams but after de-interlacing I dont think there's much seperating it from the DVX. I figure that 25P with 35mm lenses will be better than the standard DVCPRO. I want to pull off an image which looks timeless or resembles a folk song... that raw but polished look. y'know what i mean?

Anyone got any thoughts on this? .. I think the whole 4:1 whatever stuff is different which is a shame.

a HVX with an SG35.. thats the dream.

I'd like to be involved in any kind of callaboration if anyone has any plans,
Daniel Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #30
Regular Crew

you done really well this is really great stuff wish my camera had that kind of look to it that’s what i like about it the look and feel about the whole thing

great job
Jim Rog is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood