How to improve the quality of a cheap DV camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old March 16th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #1
Tourist

How to improve the quality of a cheap DV camera

Hello, im new to this forum. Im glad i found a place to learn more about DV, the web is confusing.

I have a little cheap camera for family use, as it advertised itself. I want to do some art videos but the quality isnt very good.

Specifics:
Image Sensor: 2.0 Mega CMOS Sensor
F. No.: 2.8
Television System NTSC / PAL
Resolution: Fine: 320 x 240 / 15 fps
Normal: 320 x 240 / 8 fps

[MORE HERE:
http://www.mustek.com.tw/html/prod_c...032/spec.html]

Is there a way to improve the quality of the video in post production? .

Thank you in advance for any replies, Anna
Anna Firmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Firmani
Hello, im new to this forum. Im glad i found a place to learn more about DV, the web is confusing.

I have a little cheap camera for family use, as it advertised itself. I want to do some art videos but the quality isnt very good.

Specifics:
Image Sensor: 2.0 Mega CMOS Sensor
F. No.: 2.8
Television System NTSC / PAL
Resolution: Fine: 320 x 240 / 15 fps
Normal: 320 x 240 / 8 fps

[MORE HERE:
http://www.mustek.com.tw/html/prod_c...032/spec.html]

Is there a way to improve the quality of the video in post production? .

Thank you in advance for any replies, Anna

Welcome Anna,

Not sure I can give you much advice on upgrading the image in post, but I am sure someone will help on that point. I know, depending on your NLE, that you can make some changes to color, contrast, brightness etc., and that can make a difference in how your movie looks when you are finished.

But, the best thing you can do is learn filming techniques and styles. That can be far more important than the quality of the camera you use. Even shooting at home, you can make the most out of existing lighting and even add inexpensive lights to properly fill or highlight areas. Shot composition, shooting angles, and great editing can make up for most of the shortfalls of the camera.

There is a wealth of info on the web, and even training courses you can take on-line for free. There are many training DVDs sold by many companies and you might consider getting them, even before spending more money on a better camera.

Good luck and ask more questions as you need.

Mike
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #3
Wrangler

Hi Anna,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are you using an editing program with your computer? That's where you'll be able to add effects that can improve the quality of your video. Editing footage like what you've described I usually do mosty what Mike mentioned: play with brightness, contrast, gain--stuff like that.
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Anna,

It's going to be a challange to get much quality out of that camera. Always shoot in the fine mode. Don't expect anything that is moving fast to look good because of the 15 FPS rate. Use a tripod as much as possible. Even pans could look kind of jerky so move slowly.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

That camera sounds like it is intended soley for internet use. I would suggest going to sears or radio shack, and spending a couple hundred on another cam. Even a mini VHS will be better for viewing, unless you only plan to show your stuff on the web.
Old March 16th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

That camera does sound like a webcam of sorts. For a hundred dollars or so, you could get a cheap, used miniDV camcorder on eBay, that would almost assuredly provide a better image. I've purchased a few cameras, like a Panasonic DV53 and a JVC DVL320U, which I use for capture decks as well as to lend to friends (novices) on occasion.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood