Hi From Los Angeles, California - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old August 29th, 2003, 01:14 AM   #31
Regular Crew

THANK YOU!!!

Thank you very much Charles for the kind words. I had a great time working with you. I hope we can do it again.

I met some wonderful people who were willing to share their technical skills as well as their life experiences in the entertainment industry. They were so willing to open up and share so much information with a newbie.

Thank you for bringing me onboard for the shoot.
Bryant Sentosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #32
New Boot

Los Angeles by way of Florida

Hey all,

I'm a Florida transplant living here in LA. Actually, I'm leaving LA to bop around the country for a year and get this restless youth thing out of my system before I settle down and truly dig into filmmaking.

I was trained at the film school at Florida State University. Was introduced to the moving image by way of a hundred foot spool of reversal ektachrome and a wind up Bolex. From there I spent three and half years shooting and directing about a dozen shorts on DVCam, 16 and Super 16 (Arri SR2, Arri SR3).

Two of those shorts played all over and captured a few prizes here and there. And while most of what I learned in school IS applicable to shooting on these camcorders, the terminology and variables are so different I feel as though I'm back to square one.

Hope you folks don't mind me lurking around with an occasional word or two. Looking to get up to speed on things by following the discourse here.

-Barry
Barry Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #33
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net Barry, good to have you with us!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Los Angeles based Producer moving to the Northwest, looking to expand rolidex...

Looking to expand my Rolidex and meet some new shooters and editors in the Pacific Northwest.

I will be producing Documentaries, on a wide variety of topics, as well as travel and touring videos.

I am looking for the following:

Great area rental houses ( HD and SD )
Shooters experienced with HDV and HD, please provide link to online reel
Editors, working in Final Cut Pro , please provide online reel
Production Assistants and Interns ( looking for photo assistants as well )

All applicants should email to : ontherhodes@mac.com

Cheers,
James
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #35
New Boot

Los Angeles Area

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. Just wanted to say hi and see who's from the LA area. Eventhough I don't work in it full time, I love the industry. I like the directing and producing side of things and also do some grip, editing and visual effects work too. Anyways, that's pretty much it about me, just thought I'd introduce myself.
Andrew Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #36
RED Code Chef

Hi Andrew, welcome aboard (H)DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #37
New Boot

Composer in LA says "Hi!"

Always have been a little shy to proclaim a musical voice in DVI network, but I've made my own HD films as a hobby for 1 year so maybe I fit in a little now! I guess the technology and opportunity for amateur film makers and how it changes everyday is quite exciting. I've learned thru messing around with my own movies that if I ever want to see a story or idea turn into something, I need to hire pros!

And speaking of pros, I've made a solid living as a film composer for 16 years in Hollywood. My schedule is fairly open now and I'm looking for that next movie/TV show/quality project to score. I've worked on bugets from low-budget MIDI scores to A-Film full orchestra ones. I rarely do freebees but if you have a blow-away mind-boggling quality project, let me take a look!

My long-term goal is to even out my scoring hours somehow and get into writing and production as well. Let's collaborate! Feel free to review my resume and music samples at grifmusic.com Thanks!
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Hi Pat. I checked out your website and you write some great stuff. Good job! I too am more of a musician than a videographer, being a pro jingle writer (and commercial narrator). Just wondering for your midi scores, do you have a favorite orchestral sample library you like these days. I'm making do with MOTU's symphonic instrument, but I do crave some of the big East West libraries.

Oh, and before I forget... I recognized one of the albums you played on "Schools Out Christmas". I have it! I even featured some of the songs on a radio show that I syndicate. Small world, eh? (Sorry, it's a requirement of being a Canadian that I do that.)
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #39
New Boot

yeah, sample libraries are evolving and improving along with computer and video technology. I'm never happy with my virtual orchestra but they are getting better. VSL has the top-notch Vienna Instruments library but only the full versions play in "Universal Mode" which is the most life-like you can get with switching samples in real time as you play naturally. The bonus is they now play on OSX and not just PC Gigasampler anymore. Sadly the whole library is more than $10,000 but they do make Vienna Instruments Special Edition with limited samples for $500. I purchased the First Edition VSL library and use combination of that, East West basic edition, as well as older libraries from Miroslav Vit, Quantum Leap brass, Advanced Orchestra woodwinds, and even some stuff I found online. I would like to pick up a few other smaller libraries because each one has strengths and weaknesses. I also have high hopes for advanced synth modeling starting to come out as Pianteq and Synful, but they are just beginning.

I remember the first time I sat in the room when a 78 piece Los Angeles recording orchestra played back my cues. After hearing just the MIDI stuff for so long, I was almost moved to tears! Too bad everyone doesn't have budgets for this and too bad it is so costly. Actually, more and more people are hiring orchestras out of town and overseas these days, and the quality is improving - it has the unions in an uproar! But what are people supposed to do? They must be able to make the films they want and get the sound and music they need!
Old June 25th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #40
New Boot

Hello from Burbank, CA

HI all-
Great to be a member of the DV fraternity. I love these style of forum sites- of which I have experience and enjoy immensely. I'd love to meet more people in and around the Los Angeles area working in the Videography biz. I need 2nd shooters quite often- and I plan on being here frequently to inquire when I need information. All the best!
http://www.1acerex1.com
Jeremy
Jeremy M. Dayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #41
Major Player

Hey Jeremy, welcome to the site. I'm right next to you in North Hollywood. I do most of the shooting for all my productions and this place is the best for getting great info.
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #42
New Boot

Hi, Jeremy -

I'm your neighbor to the near west in Tarzana. Welcome aboard! Matt and I just worked together on a 48 Hour Film Project this last weekend. What a trip THAT was!

And yes, this forum is just the best site for info on DV and HDV that I have ever found.
Bradley Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #43
New Boot

Great to meet you guys- although it's been a month since your responses. Been quite a busy summer. We'll have to collaborate one of these days. Those 24 and 48 hours film festivals are always a fun challenge! Let me know if yours is viewable on the web anywhere- I'd love to check out what you came up with...
Jeremy M. Dayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #44
Wrangler

Hi Jeremy, welcome to DVi!

I've got some of my Instant Films (a version of the 48hr process) up here. I've retired myself from that process but it was a great learning experience! Keep an eye out for a few famous faces in there, we were able to lure a number of well-established actors into Instant Films.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:29 AM   #45
Major Player

Hey Jeremy, here is our film if you are interested.

http://www.talenos.com/ryan/TITLE02.mpg

We are toying with the idea of a feature right now so we're in preproduction for that. Won't have any fantasy worlds in it at all :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood