Hi From Los Angeles, California - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 12th, 2002, 03:27 PM   #16
Regular Crew

update

thanks for the kind words, again. i'll be finishing up and polishing up the script(s) this coming week.

i recently got a light set (smith victor & background) in addition to my home depot bought industrial lights (that appeared greenish after a while i think).

I've been practicing lighting 1 person then a couple at home, since I need the practice with lighting 2 people as they are walking or moving around in a space. I'd rather see first off if there's a way to do it cheaply without just cutting it out or keeping everyone close up or medium shots (no moving).

Mounting lights on the camera or having a crew of at least 1 or 2 around the camera moving does help, but the shadows are still problematic.

There's a great book I finshed by Christine Vachon (sp?) called 'Shooting to Kill'. Pretty informative, actually. Marcus Hu (if you know the name then you know he's helped produce some risky stuff) even does a page and half in there). It's all about producing indie flicks. It's good to get an idea of how you really do have to spend some money to make people keep interested, but it also emphasizes the importance of a good script (over and over again) and knowing your equipment and how to produce some good looking shots.

I'll be going after more money when the script is done and I've just stopped fussing with it, hopefully by May. I'll probably post stuff on here but in the financing and distribution message areas. The game plan is to see if I can tie any talent that someone would recognize. If that doesn't gel at all, then I'll just keep working on money.

These boards are of so much support, I can't even say enough in a way that would show it. But I log on here everyday and check stuff out. I wish you all well and will post again after a few weeks. I need to commit myself to the script w/o interruption. If anyone wants to keep in touch, my email is:

boypan@yahoo.com

or

nebunulefilms@yahoo.com

Cheers,

Christian Calson
Christian Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 11:36 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Newbie from Studio City, California

Want to say hello to everyone. This is by far the best DV site I've ever seen. I especially like how civil the banter is here.

Good solid advice from people who seem to love what they do.

Couple of things:

First, I'm looking for events in the Los Angeles area that I can film. Just to practice the craft. I've gone to 3rd street Promenade and shot the street performers. City Walk. Venice beach... Any festivals? Outdoor concerts? Getting restless...

Are there other places anyone can recommend to shoot?

Second, is there a good community college you can recommend in the area? Looking to get some more experience with Adobe Premiere, and lighting design.

As I'm setting up my Video Business, I want to stay sharp.

Thanks,

Clarence
Clarence Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2003, 08:14 AM   #18
Major Player

Welcome -

Sorry, no advice on LA, but just wanted to say hi.
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 06:47 AM   #19
RED Code Chef

Welcome Clarence! Since I haven't even been to LA ever I cannot
help you there. However, there is a thread on LA and things to
do there which can be found here. Perhaps that
might be useful or you can find a place to hang out or ask other
people who might know!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 10:22 AM   #20
Regular Crew

THANKS

Mark and Rob, I really appreciate the greetings and the advice.

Clarence
Old April 4th, 2003, 01:12 AM   #21
Wrangler

Clarence, I produce a weekend filmmaking festival in LA called "Instant Films" (www.instantfilms.tv). We just completed our seventh festival and are going strong. We are looking for someone to shoot documentary footage of our next festival to be used in a new version of a video we screen at the beginning of the festival that explains the process. Any interest in this? It's a really great process to be involved with, I think you will enjoy it. Take a look at the site and some of the films, and let me know!
Old April 4th, 2003, 08:27 AM   #22
Major Player

Hey Clarence - you should jump on Charles's offer. If you're not interested, I am.
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 10:45 AM   #23
Regular Crew

SOUNDS GREAT

Hello Charles:

The site looks great. I love the idea of having an "instant" deadline, because that's when I'm at my best. There's some very talented people involved in your program. I was impressed with the quality and creativity of the films.

I'd love to talk to you about shooting some docu. footage.

You can email me at: clarencew@fox.com (M-F) or clarencew194@cs.com on Sat & Sun.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Clarence
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:48 PM   #24
New Boot

community colleges in LA

I'm new to the forum, also. We live in northeast LA . I have taken classes at Los Angeles Community College in film related topics.
Also, I've heard that Los Angeles Valley College near you has extensive classes. You might check these out. Richard
Richard Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:30 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hi From Los Angeles, California

Hi All,

I new am very new to DV. I think this has to be the most informative forum I have ever run into. I just wanted to say Hi and tell a you a little about myself.

Coming May 30th, I decided to take an interest when the Los Angeles Film School offered a 6 week digital film making course. I think the course is actually to provide a "crash" course in movie making, rather than be a Mini DV course. The course starts May 30th, 2003 and for $6500 they supply me with a GL2. The course fo the course without the GL is $4500. Is $2000 a good price for a GL2?

My Background:
I graduated with a BS degree in computers from a California State University. After working in "Corporate America" for a decade, I realized I hated waking up each and every morning. Each day I would try and find a reason not to go to work.

I have no film background but I've taken a 2nd AC course at Panavsion through the UCLA Extensions.

My Goal:
Ever since being a kid I had always wanted to be in the field of entertainment. So much that I search for computer jobs for Studios, and finally landed one at Universal for 6 years. As much as it was an entertainment company, and I thought it was enough to subdue my passion for making movies, it wasn't. I want to be a part of the movie or television process. When I was at Universal I would sneak on set of what ever was shooting that day and I would observe the crew from the minute they go there till the wrap of the shoot. I was never really close to the action, I would watch from a quite a distant as to not get caught and not to be in the way of the working crew.

Me Now:
So after six years they laid me off. I've been unemployed for close to six months and living off savings. I recently bought my first house middle of next years and I just had a little girl seven weeks ago.
Unemployed for six month, house mortgage, new baby, and my savings dwindling what do I do now?. I decided go to this 6 week film making course. Probably not the smartest thing to do. You can usually make this type of decision when your young and single, but now I'm 30. Everyone around me thinks I’ve gone off the deep end, but my wife (my biggest supporter).

I've always been interested in camera work for television and or film. If there is anyone out there, currently working in the field and if it's not too much trouble, would it be possible for me observe you on the set. I want to see what it takes, and see if I have what it takes. I will be the fly on the wall. Or if anyone has any advice or recommendation I would surely appreciate it.

Again, Hi to all.

Sincerely,
Bryant Sentosa

P.S. Sorry it was so long...
Bryant Sentosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:17 AM   #26
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Bryant! Thank you for posting such a good
introduction to yourself. Much appreciated. I admire your
courage to do all this with a family and I can imagine some
people might think you have lost it. Do keep the family alive
though :)

I certainly feel some of the things you do/did. Especially the
waking up each morning and thinking about why I bother
at all. I am also working in the computer business at the moment
and trying to do some movie work (which is hard to do next
to a very very demanding job). I'm currently 25.

As I'm not situated in the US I cannot help you out with the
request to visit a movie set (I myself would love to visit a "real"
set one day too, but that is virtually impossible here in Holland)
so I hope someone else will chime in for that.

Good luck with your studies and your new life!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:05 AM   #27
Major Player

Bryant -

What kind of computer work did you do? I may be interested in your services.

You can e-mail me if you like.

Thank You.

- Aaron
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:06 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Hi Aaron,

I was a Senior Technical Analyst/Lead at Universal Studios for the messaging (email) team. Our job was to design, implement, and maintain a 35,000+ International seat Exchange 5.5 mail system.
We were third level support for all unresovlable issues. Our department was in charge of all mail related mail issues, server backup/restores, hardware failure, software upgrades (OS), and initial network diagnosis.

I hope that helps. What kind of work are you offering?

Bryant
Bryant Sentosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 01:46 AM   #29
Wrangler

Just want to throw this out there. Or is that "in here"??

Thanks to this forum, I enlisted Bryant to join me on last weekend's Instant Film festival. He came on as a PA for my most recent directing effort with Instant Films (www.instantfilms.tv), and did a great and tireless job for the shoot. He's a good guy with a great attitude, so if anyone has any bones to throw him, please do so! I will be sure to call him for future projects.
Old August 28th, 2003, 01:53 PM   #30
Michael Kowal

Hi Bryant,

I have a friend who's currently shooting, and I'm gearing up to do a feature (PD150) this fall. I'd love to talk, maybe see if there's anything I can help you with. And of course - I'll definitely be needing some help myself! Let me know.

Take care,

Michael
mkowal100@hotmail.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood