Thinking about Film School - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old November 11th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #46
RED Code Chef

Well the obvious website would be this one <g>. Seriously,
the single best thing that helped me (and I'm still at the beginning
of the learning curve, mind you) visualize things is editing.
Ofcourse this was with footage that I've shot myself.

The "I don't know to know this" or the "why do I need to know
this" is very familiair. A lot of people have this to in the computer
industry (working people mind you!). Basically I just think it boils
down to people not that interested in it and who are just in it
for things like a job or the money.

Now ofcourse your 15 year old is another thing. He probably
just wants to shoot (ie, not have it complicated). We know a lot
of people want to get into movie making but few do (succeed).

I still believe the best things are: seeing = believing and working
with it yourself. If you point your camera to rain or moving cars
and change the shutter speed you will see what this does to the
levels of the image and the amount of blurring. F-stop might be
a bit more difficult although together with zooming some DOF
might show this.

Personally I've always learned better and faster this way then
from any book, although they are very valuable for referencing.
Then again, this is different per person, ofcourse.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 07:22 PM   #47
Wrangler

In the grand scheme of things, Zettl isn't too expensive when one considers it will form the foundation of a professional television reference library. Certainly cheaper than the Art books!

We do require it at the Community College Level for the Television Production classes. By the time they reach those classes, they've been through the basic Cinema classes and, if they are smart, the Acting for Television and the Speech classes. That way they know both sides of the camera.

The basic Cinema text we use, along with watching a lot of movies is: "Understanding Movies" by Louis Giannetti out of Prentice Hall. Louis is concerned with, as he puts it, 'Cineliteracy,' and this book is really to the point.

With only two years to work over the students, we cannot hope to get as in-depth as NYU. In fact, we are really a feeder school for SF State, USC, and even NYU.

The Leung book sound interesting too.

BTW, I just replaced most of the VHS and 16mm footage with DVD's as the old library was a bit shabby. Spent about $2500 and was able to buy most of the titles. Some wonderfully restored.
Old February 13th, 2004, 12:25 AM   #48
Wrangler

Found this interesting link on film/movie schools - MovieMaker Guide to Film Education
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 04:40 PM   #49
Major Player

Charles, did you attend the undegraduate or graduate film program at NYU?

Brad, don't forget that for any graduate program, regardless of subject, that one of the important aspects of applying is knowing that you should also look into a variety of grants and scholarships. Also look into seeing if you can somehow gain residency and see if that doesn't cut costs down as well.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 07:21 PM   #50
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

you might consider a smaller college for the 1st year.
perhaps one that has X number of students that is close to the number of camera's they have for use. it's no fun going to a school that has 4 camera's and 200 students as you can't ever get your hands on the equipment. the 1st year will give you a taste and either you want to BITE and spend the 100-200k or you might find/see a different path.

take a look at the american film institute in LA (AFI) .. they have a program for directors, producers, cinematograhers, editors , writers.. i think they accept 20 persons in each area for the 1st year .. then maybe 5 in each area for 2nd year ? classes taught by persons in the industry. may guest speakers from leading film business persons...

i went to college outside of LA . degree in film. when i went to LA i started out as PA same as most persons that have the 200K degree from USC/UCLA .. after one week in LA i took film school off my resume. i didn't find the degree help in fact i found it to be a negative back in 1982 as too many film graduates thought they knew everything and would try to tell a experienced (10-20year) film persons they weren't doing it right !!! In the end just about every job i got was because of a referral not because of sending a resume. hollywood is a very who you know kind of town.
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 08:51 PM   #51
Major Player

Film School

Well I'm coming up on my senior year in highschool, a VERY scary thought. My entire life I have aspired to work in film. I've had a camera in my hands ever since I was born. My question is what do I do outside of highschool. My parents have been pressuring VERY much to get a college degree. I don't blame them either. I have really good grades and am in the top 20% of my class. And if I am wanting to be immersed in film, my guess is to go to film school. But after hearing lots of people say don't waste your money on film school, use the money you would use for film school on making your own films, and I'm sure it is a note-worthy effort. But it just really REALLY scares me, I don't want to go spend ton's of money on a film school and wind up working a filmmaker's coffee house. I don't want to piss my parents off by not going to college either. It all gives me a REAL big headache. I have the desire and the will to make films, and I could handle any rigorous course, I am just in the dark right now. Can you guys list your experiences and help me form a path? I mean i figure if i get a degree, and don't make it to hollywood, i could do video work in a big city and be fine, and still be able to work on videos. Any suggestions on schools etc. I live in oklahoma btw ;-) Thnx
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:27 PM   #52
Wrangler

Nothing wrong with deferring college for one year after high school ... unless of course your parents scream bloody murder.

So the year doesn't go to waste, it would be a good idea to line up a promising job and/or have a solid well thought out plan before taking that leap - otherwise here's a list of schools
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:34 PM   #53
Wrangler

Seconded.
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:37 PM   #54
Major Player

well in actually I only have english and gov't left to take, and i was thinking about graduating a semester early by going to summer school, so basically i would have an extended summer that would be like a year off. and what schools do you think would be best/cheapest the university of oklahoma has an ok film/video studies program, i figure ill probably end up at UT at the most...i dunno i'm scared of not having a plan
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:47 PM   #55
Major Player

Or go to film school but don't expect them it to get you a job. Spend a lot of time doing PA work on other people's shoots. Then you'll get book learnin' and OJT at the same time.

If you find your getting further ahead outside of school, you can always quit.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 10:03 PM   #56
Warden

Riley, I've heard you talk a lot about what your parents want (understandably so), but what do you want? A job in film, network news, cutting trailers etc.? Do you want to move to get a job in your town or move to the big city (scary thought for many)? Any thoughts or ideas?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 10:30 PM   #57
Major Player

a job in film or working as a videographer, perferrably a job in film
Old March 21st, 2004, 10:52 PM   #58
Regular Crew

I might be in the minority here, but I think you should go to college and skip film school. If you have had a camera in your hands for so long then I'm sure you understand the workflow of things, and PA'ing on a few shoots will help you understand working with a larger, legitimate crew (if you don't have any experience with that). Go to college. Learn to write. Take a bunch of English classes so you're forced to write and read. You're probably only 18, take your time. Give yourself a chance to mature. Believe me, all 18 or 19 year olds need that time (whether they think so or not!). Unless, of course, you're family is in a financial situation, where college would be an unnecessary burden.

I personally believe film school is a waste of money, but I think college, for people willing to get everything out of it, is invaluable.

mg
Matthew Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 11:08 PM   #59
Warden

What is a videographer? They shoot weddings and such, don't they? If you really want a job in film and your committed, then move to LA and go to film school. Plan on living and working in LA. there are exceptions of course, but they are few and far between. Film schools have been discussed before, you might want to do a search.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:15 AM   #60
Major Player

Riley, with all due respect...stay in school.

I think Matthew is pretty close to the mark here.

Although it isn't really about your parents, believe me when I tell you that they have a better idea as to what's best for you and, you still don't know what you want.

I was once in your position and in retrospect, I wasn't quite as smart as I thought.

Once you get out of the school "mindset", it is a real bitch to get back into it. Kinda like the gym...it's allot easier not to go.

I have trained many a film Camera Assistant Apprentice fresh out of film school. They showed up on my camera trucks with textbooks in hand and absolutely no clue as to how to "make" movies or handle themselves on a real set, although they could talk up a storm on theory.

You seem to have a handle on what you want to do. That's great, and nothing should get in your way, and you should continue to do it as much as possible. But beware. This business, especially the film industry, is a dog-eat-dog business.

Get your education, THEN get out there into the real world and KICK SOME SERIOUS ASS! I'll be looking for your name in the credits.

Good luck and GOD bless.

RB

P.S.

LA is not the only answer. As we say on this side of the Country..."We don't care how you do it on the West Coast!"

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media