Thinking about Film School - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 29th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #16
Wrangler

Those that leave before the end of the credits of the new Matrix movie miss the surprise epilogue.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:27 AM   #17
Regular Crew

yeah, kinda wish i stayed now...lol...oh well...
John Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:39 AM   #18
RED Code Chef

The Matrix 3 teaser can be downloaded from plenty of places
now I think. Do some searching on the web.

I want to stay during the credits out of respect, but my buddies
usually don't want to.

Alex:

Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm terrible dealing with people, since that makes a big difference
This is the first thing I would fix if I were you. There are people/
courses who can help you with this. As far as I always keep hearing
everything falls or stands with people you know etc. etc. If you
can't deal with people that will be a real problem. Also because
making movies in the "real world" is very much a colaboration
effort!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:54 AM   #19
Wrangler

Alex, learning to deal with people is crucial, unnless you want to deliver newspapers. It is a skill that can and will be learned as soon as you hit the working world. Get a job in retail sales. You'll probably hate it, but its like a crash course in how to deal and interact with people of all types.

As for what job you should take in the film/video world, there's a whole lot to choose from. Keep making videos and decide what you aspect you like the most. You've got a loong time to go, don't worry about it.
Old May 30th, 2003, 10:18 AM   #20
Wrangler

Career advice for a real job: - remember to aim HIGH but TRED low. I.e if you want to be a steadicam operator or director start at the bottom, learn the 'ropes' and then progress on from there. I would advise for you to go to some College and/or Uni because there you will meet people in the same boat as you and people who are in the industry. This way you can build up your people skills and start to fill more confident.

I'm only 19 and just starting out with my career, I’m aiming for On-line editor and owning my own TV station (Hay I can dream!!!). I went to college for 3 years where I met the same people who were interested in the TV/ film industry this built my confidence up plus we met various people in the industry. I started work in a local Video store selling video equipment, then because of my contacts at college they put me in touch with a television/ Edit support company - where I am at the moment as support engineer. This now puts me in loads of contacts with TV station and production houses where in the possible future I could be working and to start living my career dream.

Hope this helps, May be you could be a tea boy!!! Only joking

Ed Smith

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 11:56 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hey, I'm 19 too!

This is similar to my situation. I graduated from High School in 2001 with a keen interest in Technology, namely, Web development and graphic design. I managed to land the first job I applied for as the Website Coordinator for a Corporation. I was in the right place at the right time. The company paid me probably triple what my friends are making right now, and is even sending me through college. I continually meet very important people in the society and just recently wanted to get into videography. A co-worker of mines needed a Website, and it just so happens that her husband is a certified producer, and an avid videographer. A couple weeks later, I’m touring the local television stations and shooting with some industry professionals. Network yourself and meet new people. Go to functions and seminars and introduce yourself. Join groups dedicated to your interest, and become an active part of the industry. There are alot of people out there that are willing to take you under their wing and teach you the tricks of the trade.

People skills are definitely a must; just be patient and a good listener. You’re a smart guy, so you shouldn’t have any trouble. Go to school because that college diploma will help you in the long run. Take advantage of opportunities while you’re still young, you have nothing to lose, and of course, keep an open mind and an eye out for new things to learn. Because of course, learning is lifelong.

Good luck,

John
Old May 30th, 2003, 02:57 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Alex...

Good that you're considering careers at such an early stage.

As everyone has mentioned, people skills are vital to finding a job. While it's not necessary to become a "yes man" it's much easier for someone who's a team player to find employment. I know a very successful cameraman here who's shot for local TV as well as National Geographic. It certainly helps that he's one of the top guys around, but he's also a great guy to work with.

And as John said, keep an open mind and don't stop the learning process. It certainly helped me when the newspaper I work at threatened to close a few years ago. When word came down of the possible closing, the expressions around the newsroom were reminiscent of the proverbial "deer in the headlights". Most here are good at what they do but their skill set is very narrow and there are very few newspapers here in Hawaii. I'm fortunate in that I can handle nearly anything media related -- from photography to video and audio, with writing thrown in. But that skill set was built up by constantly taking the time to learn things.

Depending on the work you're seeking, you might have to relocate. But as the film industry grows, the number of locations are growing, too. For example, there wasn't much of a high-tech film industry in New Zealand until "Lord of the Rings" was in production. Now their facilities are among the largest.

They're trying to do that here in Hawaii, but so far there hasn't been any blockbuster hits out of here, at least not big enough to sustain a massive workforce.

Good luck!
Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:20 PM   #23
Regular Crew

woah, another person from Hawaii on the boards. Cool... lol...hey Dean! I'm John, im from hawaii also! you work for the Advertiser or the Bulletin?
Old May 31st, 2003, 06:15 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Hi John...

Nice to see another Hawaii person in the group. I'm the chief photographer at the Bulletin, the geek who got the newspaper's photo department converted to a 100 percent digital operation in 2001. Also got the first color management system in place -- at least as much as a limited budget would allow.

Doing more nowdays with video (as a freelancer) in what little free time I have. I edit a show called "The Little Grass Shack", a home-improvement show on OC-16. I also do some of the shooting. Right now it's all reruns of the first 26 shows, but the producer's about to hand me a bunch of EDL's for the next episodes. Should be airing in a few weeks.

Also developing a weekly feature program that we're hoping will air on one of the three main channels. It's a risky venture but the cost to develop is low as I have nearly all the equipment costs covered. And the crew (a really good crew at that) is working completely on spec. If it flies, we all get paid. If not, then we'll chalk it off to having spent a good time together. If it doesn't become a series, then at least we'll end up with a show we can be pleased with and proud of.

We're not quite finished with shooting and have a ton of editing to do! And we're all crossing our fingers!

Aloha,
Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:53 AM   #25
Regular Crew

hmm....the little grass shack eh? ive heard about that through a couple of people who are helping me along with my videography. Do you know who Lex Clark is? Tracy Arakaki? Lex is a producer/videographer and Tracy is a camera man/editor at channel 8, and also involved with happenings at Olelo. Im actually going with tracy tomorrow to help him grip for a shoot. Im so fortunate to have a couple good contacts that can help me along.

Do you know who Ikaika is? hes the guy who shoots local kine grinds and tiny tv and stuff. I was supposed to meet him through Lex...

hmm, what a small world. hehe...
Old May 31st, 2003, 06:24 PM   #26
Inner Circle

It's strange, but all the OC-16 producers work independently of one another and don't get to mingle much.

I was at the OC-16 luncheon yesterday, the first one they've ever held as far as I know, and most of the producers were gathered in a single room. I didn't get to meet Ikaika who was there but I did chat with Sam and Lena who sat next to me. Also got to meet the producer for Tasty and Meatless -- I had a few phone conversations with her and swapped e-mails regarding technical specs for broadcast. Never met in person until yesterday.

There's a lot going on with OC-16 and some plans for expansion. While they're not a wellspring for funding they're the only place to go for most local programming. There's a lot that needs to be done to build up the channel's public image. There's the mistaken notion that OC-16 is just glorified public access. But as the quality level is gradually notched up that opinion should change for the better along with revenues from ad sales. Getting real viewer demographics would help, and that's an issue that might be resolved in the near future. Or so we hope.

Regarding Olelo, I saw their facilities late last year and was impressed by the kind of equipment they're using. All high-end stuff. Yet the material that gets broadcast always looks like third generation VHS. We're convinced that it goes through a special "Olelo" filter that simulates lousy equipment!

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Old May 31st, 2003, 07:30 PM   #27
Outer Circle

Alex, you are an intelligent and gifted young man. Stay out of trouble and continue with your little projects. After high school, think about broadcast school or film school. Like I said, you have a gift. One more thing, brush up on your English. Perhaps take creative writing and Lit. at college/university. Writing and "film making" go hand in hand.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 08:43 PM   #28
High School Student

Thanks Frank. When I have the right thing to write about, and I know what i'm talking about, I am a great writer -- or atleast all my English teachers so far have said so, but when it comes to making up a story or something, there's no way, I never get anywhere, UNLESS it's something that I have a clear idea of, and something thats pretty stupid. For example, I have 2 ideas "on hold" right now for videos. One is a "story" about a kid who has to take a crap really bad, and it will be packed with action shots of a car going extra fast, and some poopin action...probably will be around like 2 minutes, or something really short. The other one, I've had for longer, it's REALLY stupid. It's a idea for a video, that would probably end up about 5-7 minutes long, and it's about a ghost who eats humans (cannibal)...maybe when your sleeping, maybe when your walking down the street, maybe when your on the john.

Now when it comes to "directing" people, it's pretty much the same deal. I stutter, unless I know clearly what I have to say. I think it's usually because the only people I have "directed", or better yet, told what to do in a few stupid videos, are my friends, and I try too hard not to sound like I'm being too pushy on what they should do. If I was paying actors, and they were people that I didn't know, as a friend, and they were people that wanted to get it done, and do it good, more then I do, then I would be more demanding (I guess you could say) on what they need to do in the video.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 02:47 AM   #29
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Dean Sensui : It's strange, but all the OC-16 producers work independently of one another and don't get to mingle much.

I was at the OC-16 luncheon yesterday, the first one they've ever held as far as I know, and most of the producers were gathered in a single room. I didn't get to meet Ikaika who was there but I did chat with Sam and Lena who sat next to me. Also got to meet the producer for Tasty and Meatless -- I had a few phone conversations with her and swapped e-mails regarding technical specs for broadcast. Never met in person until yesterday.

There's a lot going on with OC-16 and some plans for expansion. While they're not a wellspring for funding they're the only place to go for most local programming. There's a lot that needs to be done to build up the channel's public image. There's the mistaken notion that OC-16 is just glorified public access. But as the quality level is gradually notched up that opinion should change for the better along with revenues from ad sales. Getting real viewer demographics would help, and that's an issue that might be resolved in the near future. Or so we hope.

Regarding Olelo, I saw their facilities late last year and was impressed by the kind of equipment they're using. All high-end stuff. Yet the material that gets broadcast always looks like third generation VHS. We're convinced that it goes through a special "Olelo" filter that simulates lousy equipment!

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions -->>>

Hmm, interesting. yeah, the quality of OC 16 is slowly raising. Thats nice to see. and yeah, olelo's equipment is quite nice. Ive seen some work done before its been broadcasted, and its really really nice. It would be a shame if it came out crappy looking like the rest :(
Old June 22nd, 2003, 09:48 PM   #30
Major Player

Thinking about Film School

I've been pondering film school for quite some time. I know that it isn't absolutley critical, and it doesn't guarantee jack squat as far as job placement, but it's something I want to do because I feel I can learn so much with some hands on training and I think I would enjoy the experience. (yes, I read Robert Rodriquez's book and I agree it might not be necessary, but it's something I've always wanted to do anyways).

I can only learn so much from reading books without actually using the equipment I need to learn. I enjoy cinematography and my goal is to become a DP and I feel the only way for me to get my hands on some of this equipment to learn it is by going to a film school with those facilities.

Problem is I don't want to go to some crappy school with crappy equipment, or one of those bait and switch programs like the NY Film Academy or Full Sail. (heard many bad things about them but I could be wrong.) The main benefits of the good schools is that you make a ton of films and they are criticized heavily so you can learn more, unlike some of these other programs where they tell you everything you did was great so you are happy and recommend the program to other people.

I've learned that to go to film school at the most respected places such as USC and UCLA or NYU you need to be loaded. I'm not going to be getting in with a scholorship, so I'll need to pay the full price.

Upon further research, let's say I wanted to go to UCLA or USC.
It's a three FULL YEAR program for a Masters. Tuition would cost $90,000 for three years. Then they estimate you need between 15,000 and $50,000 for a thesis project. Since it is a three year intense program, I probably won't be able to work unless I want to kill myself. So, living in California I'd have to probably budget at least $30,000 a year in living expenses in order to live in a respectable cardboard box.

So, the final cost of getting a Master's in Film could be over $200,000! Wow, that's an insane amount of money. And I don't even know if I have a great enough portfolio to get in. Am I kidding myself thinking I should follow my dream and take out a loan for this? Has anyone here been to film school? I just need some advice because I'm at a turning point in my life where I need to think about if going to film school and being in major debt is worth the knowledge I could get at a film school like USC or UCLA (if I even get in).

I don't want to direct. I want to learn how to use 16mm and 35mm cameras and edit on Avid. All the programs to learn this in my area are so sketchy looking, cheap and fast 1 year programs where I'm not sure I will learn anythingfrom the questionable faculty.

Brad Simmons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media