Decent anti spam programs - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 6th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks Harry for the tip.
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:38 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I'm new on this board; sorry for the delayed response.

In mid-December I began using an inexpensive program called "Qurb" (www.qurb.com). It now runs on both Outlook and Outlook Express, and integrates nicely into the toolbar.

It works by building a whitelist based on (a) your Address Book and (b) your "sent email" folder. You can add or delete names on this list very easily. Emails coming from unknown sources go into a quarantine folder, where you can see them and determine whether they are spam (most likely) or legitimate. The nice thing is that Qurb can send an automated response (you can edit the message) to those senders, and all they have to do to get on the approved list is just reply (the spam bots can't).

Anyway, after one month of use, Qurb has blocked ALL spam from my inbox. After about the first week, I found there were very few legitimate emails coming into the quarintine folder. I no longer bother to check that folder.

An elegant solution. No more Spam.
Richard Iredale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #18
Major Player

Outlook 2003

I'm really impressed with the filtering and rules within Office 2003.

By "training it" for a couple of months, I've knocked down my spam by 85 to 90%.

I had a head start since I was on Office 2003 beta, but wowie is it powerful if you are remotely familiar with "if" or "and" statements !
Old January 15th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I have a great/free one!!

It is called pop-file. I filters it before your email proggy ever gets it. It labels every email that comes in. I only have 2 buckets. [spam] or [good]. Then I use outlook to take the ones marked good and send them to my inbox. The ones marked spam go straight to the delete folder. I usally get about 75 a day and after training it for around 2 weeks, I have only had 1 missed marked this week. It is free but if it cost I would gladly pay for it.

Go here to check it out :

http://popfile.sourceforge.net/

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 09:08 PM   #20
Major Player

wow! All these programs to chose from. Thanks guys.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 09:28 AM   #21
Wrangler

Has anyone tried Spammunition? Bayesian + whitelist, works in Outlook, freeware, still in beta.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 02:39 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I tried it and kept having problems with it crashing. I guess that's why it's still in beta.

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media