Captain Kangeroo dies after long illness at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 23rd, 2004, 09:12 PM   #1
Warden

Captain Kangeroo dies after long illness

Bob Keeshan died today, in Vermont, after a long illness. A pioneer in children's programming, his Emmy award winning program, was the longest running such show in TV history. Complete details and photos are here.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 09:59 PM   #2
Wrangler

Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Rogers both gone, with no one gentle enough to take their places (that I know).

I remember watching Capt. Kangaroo as a little kid and wondering, "Who cuts his hair?" Those bangs...

And Mr. Green Jeans. I guess because I lived the actual rural life I found that whole thing pretty hokey, but lest anyone think I'm being critical--it makes me feel sad for young folks who need a soft-spoken, kind and peaceful adult in their lives like either Capt. K. or Mr. Rogers. Maybe I'm old, but I tuned in to Saturday morning cartoons last week and nearly gagged. What happened to the animation and actual humor we loved with Bugs, Sylvester, and all that gang?

But, I digress...Captain Kangaroo's three decades on television was an amazing achievement.

Thanks for the link, Jeff. Interesting read.
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 05:57 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

This is truly sad, for I had already thought he had passed years ago. I too remember watching the Capt, Mr. Greenjeans, moose, and the rest of them. A few years back, the tried to redo the show- The New Capt Kangaroo... It died quickly I believe.

At least I got to share Mr Rogers with my boys.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 06:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

How about a little background music for this thread.....

http://www.magoomedia.com/media/CaptainKangaroo.mp3
Old January 24th, 2004, 06:47 AM   #5
Major Player

The passing of Mr. Keeshan marks the passing of a chapter in TV history. Mr. Keeshan's television career goes back even farther than Captain Kangaroo. Bob also played the mischievous, mute clown, Clarabell, on the Howdy Doody TV show in the days of very early television (when it was all live).

(I won't comment on the trash that is on TV now. Parents permit it, kids watch it.)

Good bye Bob, and thank you for all the enjoyable hours.
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Other than some cowboy shows on Saturday AM, Capt. K. and Howdy Doody were my favorites. I wish MY kids had had a chance to see them.
Farwell Cap'n say "Hi" to Mr. Greenjeans for us and maybe a little "hello" to Ray Rayner also. A Chicago entertainer for 40 years or so who also passed this last week. (who loved the kids as much as the Capt.)
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media