Michael Moore's Oscar Speech - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 24th, 2003, 05:33 PM   #16
Major Player

I'm sure they're sent into a warzone with more than one spare camera anyway ;)
Old March 24th, 2003, 10:09 PM   #17
Major Player

I'm just sort of dumbfounded that "Bowling for Columbine" won over "Winged Migration."
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 10:23 PM   #18

Michael Less

>I'm just sort of dumbfounded that "Bowling for Columbine" won over "Winged Migration."<

Me, too. But since the feature film (Get Goosed) I'm finishing the editing on right now is about an old Native American man and his best friend, a Canada Goose, I guess I'm not as objective as most folks would be.

Production stills at: http://www.centralcolorado.com/newcomb
Old March 25th, 2003, 03:18 AM   #19
Major Player

He should have won for best lying in a documentary. he splices and edits to make a story. I should say to make his point. His far left wing point and since this is a video board it should be pointed out that people can use video to stress their views. Right or wrong. A edit here. A edit there. A voice over. The next thing you know, you have a fake documentary.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 06:11 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Sounds like sour grapes Bob.Its more than evident that there are many people who like what Moore does work wise , enough so that he won an award this year. As to his politics they are his, no one could have though you could get one without the other as he has made his living espousing his views.
2)being a vet from the 70's myself I am glad we live in a country where you can say what you feel unlike Iraq and many other places in the world and still wake up in your own bed in the morning and I would not have it any other way.
KennJ
Old March 25th, 2003, 08:22 AM   #21
Major Player

Actually, the voters in the Academy represent a very small group of people that bears very little resemblance to average Americans. I wish I could be sure that small group really believed "Columbine" was the best choice, but I admit suspicion.

Getting back to the speech, Moore can say what he likes and produce what he likes. This is not about the content of his speech but rather about civility. The Academy directly and strongly asked its members not to engage in that sort of thing, just as this forum asks the same. Moore ignored the request and thus behaved badly.

Here the penalty is the swift removal of content, a reprimand, and possibly expulsion. What was Moore's penalty?

There is a time and place for everything.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 09:32 AM   #22
Major Player

<<<-- There is a time and place for everything. -->>>

And Mr. Moore felt that the Award ceremony was exactly the place when the most people would be watching and listening to what he had to say. How many of you heard what he had to say about the other documentarians joining him for his protest at the post-awards press conference? Very, very few, I would guess.

He used his two minutes of fame to address something he felt very passionately about, and showed the world some celebrities have other things on their mind than thanking their lawyers and agents, as Moore also pointed out in his press conference.

He spoke for many of us, and gave voice to our opinions that are being ignored by much of the media as they march off to war. There are many organizations in this country that wanted this war, and in my opinion, that includes most members of the media. Who will be the next "Scud Stud?" Vile.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 09:47 AM   #23

I vehemently disagree with everything Michael Moore and Wayne Orr have to say on the subject. In my mind, there is no difference between Michael Moore (and others of his ilk) and Leni Riefenstahl. Moore lied in his press conference. He claimed that only 4 or 5 people booed him. All anyone has to do is listen to the clip. It was far, far more than 4 or 5 people booing him during his vomiting of propaganda.

And, like Will Fastie, I was totally shocked that "Bowling for Columbine" beat out "Winged Migration."
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #24
Major Player

We all have freedom of speech and a person can make up storys. But we should be worried about the truth also. Since we all are in the video business in one way or another or want to be, we should worry about people who make documentaries that are really propaganda! Bowling For Columbine was filled with lies to make his point and I'm not surprized that a bunch of limousine liberals from hollywood would give him a award for that.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:15 AM   #25

I agree with you, Bob, and that's why this is, I think, a fair issue for this forum. Filmmakers in general, and documentarians in particular, exercise "freedom of speech" through their work. However, with that freedom comes the _responsiblity_ to be honest and truthful. Michael Moore has shown, in both his work and in his words during his press conference, that he is neither. His lack of integrity is so blatant that I cannot take either the man or his films seriously.
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:22 PM   #26
Wrangler

I am always surprised when Moore's work wins critical acclaim. However, he's got enough talent to put together enough film, enough artistry to incorporate unique theme, and enough savvy to write and promote a interesting title for his movie.

Notice I never said there was enough truth to really call them documentaries.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 02:29 PM   #27
Major Player

What is indeed unfortunate is that we cannot have a reasonable discussion of Mr. Moore's actions without resulting to slurs such as "vomiting of propaganda," "limousine liberals," and "lack of integrity." Certainly you are all entitled to your opinion, and I might find it has more merit were it not couched in inflammatory rhetoric.

As to Mr. Moore's responsibility to tell the truth; would that be as he sees it or you see it? Having a point of view does not make you a liar. Just unpopular. Am I a liar? No, but I'll bet I'm unpopular, judging by the posts.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Notice there is no mention that you must "tell the truth." Certainly our government knew that when we waged war in Vietnam.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 02:46 PM   #28

Wayne, what has been said here is no different than what was said Sunday night, in a non-political forum, but you there you found the remarks "invigorating."

You're right, having a particular point of view does not make one a liar. But not telling the truth does. Michael Moore lied, hence he is a liar. He has shown his lack of integrity--his fault, not mine.

If I have a right to my opinion, then I also have the right to couch it any way I may see fit, as do you. I say what I think using language that leaves no room for misinterpretation.
Old March 25th, 2003, 02:49 PM   #29
Inner Circle

When a former employee of Moores' was interested in doing a documentary on Moore himself, Moore threatened to sue the guy.
And his putting a wreath on Charlton Hestons door was pure grandstanding. Maybe Pauline Kael was right? he is nothing more than a put down artist? then again....

I remember his short lived show on Bravo. He is just too precious and impressed with himself. But he does what he does welll, that is, stir discussion about his behavour, not the issues he presents.

BTW, refering to his comments. A post election analasys of all votes cast in FL (ones that counted and ones that got left out) showed Bush winning by about 5000 votes. Per Miami Herald and at least one other paper whos, name I forget.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 03:33 PM   #30
Major Player

If Michael Moore stood on my front lawn and opened his mouth, I'd have him arrested. Not for what he had to say, but because he was trespassing, perfectly within my rights.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is a private organization, not a public one. It has the right to set its rules for its activities, even those broadcast to the public, as it sees fit. It did. Moore ignored them. Uncivil and crass, at best.

I think I saw Moore one morning on The Today Show. I listened then. I thought he was spouting drivel, but there was nothing objectionable in the appearance. The right time and place...
Will Fastie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media