Michael Moore's Oscar Speech at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 23rd, 2003, 09:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Michael Moore's Oscar Speech

Who saw Michael Moore's speech just now on the Oscars?

He won for Bowling for Columbine, and invited the rest of the nominees up with him, which I thought was good. But then he used his 45 seconds as a platform for his own political views on the war, which was kind of inappropriate for the moment. And since the rest of the nominees were up with him, I wonder how they feel being represented by Moore without their consent. I love Michael Moore but I think that was over the top.

What do you guys think?
Old March 23rd, 2003, 09:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Michael Moore is incredibly good at what he does, that is, put his spin on a story by only telling the part that will benefit his perspective. Don't really think any of his work is Oscar level, but clearly others disagree!
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2003, 09:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Same thing he did at the Spirit Awards (he won for Columbine). Which between him and ever other person that got their hands on the mic ruined it.
Matt Betea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2003, 11:24 PM   #4
Major Player

I don't have the answer, but I do know that a dozen of our finest young people were taken prisoner today, and it appears that at least two of them were executed in front of their compatriots, and meanwhile we sit in front of the tube and watch an endless parade of celebreties pretending that everything is normal, and that attending the Academy Award show is somehow patriotic.

BTW, most of the other documentary nominees who joined Michael Moore were wearing the green "Peace" buttons, so I have a hunch this may have been a group decision. How did Moore get the others to join him so quickly if something had not been discussed beforehand?

I found Michael Moore's remarks invigorating in an otherwise numbing evening given the current situation. But I confess to watching the whole rambling affair, and I also confess to my bias against the war.

Just my 2¢

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2003, 11:36 PM   #5
Wrangler

They give him the time to do with what he wants. If he wants to spout war propoganda (for or against), or juggle chickens in his underwear, that's up to him.
Inviting up the other nominees on it's own is a nice gesture.
Old March 24th, 2003, 01:39 AM   #6
Major Player

hehe. I didnt see what he did but thats a nice little twist on the events. Other than that the show was a waste of time. What a let down. Im just happy that Road to Perdition got best Cinematography.

I am just tired of the crap on television.

Rob:D
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 02:48 AM   #7

Michael Moore (a little long, perhaps boring)

I found his delivery, not his subject matter, offensive. But being from Colorado and having a niece at Columbine on the day of the shooting made me dislike Michael long before tonight. I think he could have chosen a better title for his work.

I'm also a twice-wounded combat veteran (Vietnam). I participated in the Grenada invasion and was military advisor in El Salvadore, where I was bitten by a water moccasin. I have two sons currently serving in the Iraq war... one an army scout and one aboard U.S.S. Kitty Hawk. I like to think we, and other veterans, serve(d) to give people the freedom to say what they think. So I get a little peeved at those who are critical of those who are critical.

BUT...

You'll notice I said "give people the FREEDOM to say what they think." I didn't say give them the RIGHT to say it. My feeling is people should have to earn the right to dissent, along with every other right we take for granted. I think EVERYONE over the age of 18 should have to do two years of national service -- military, Peace Corps, working in a hospital, a nursing home, in an environmental program, a library, a shelter for the homeless -- something, to earn their rights as a citizen.

And, Mr. Moore -- like countless others -- could have been more dignified in his criticism. Rude behavior does not endear me to peoples' point-of-view. Neither does violent civil disobedience.

Now to justify this harumphing post I'll ask this: How are the embedded journalists keeping that micro-fine dust out of their XL-1s and their PD-150s?
Old March 24th, 2003, 03:15 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Nice conversation so far, but please keep in mind that political discussions are verboten on this board... the question should probably not have been asked in the first place.

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing... it allows me to impose all sorts of unreasonable and senseless policies upon you, including the limitation of certain subject matter such as politics.

All is well here so far, but I would hate to pull the plug on this thread, so please show some restraint. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 03:36 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I'll try not to be political Chris =)

I did however see a interesting thing here.

Michael Moore used his usual political propaganda style of speech and got booing and shouts. Probably alienating more people than it befriended (Especially since most of that audience is very anti-war).

Adrien Brody (Best male actor in a leading role) delivered basically the same message (peaceful solution, stop the war, bring the soldiers home) but in a much nicer presentation. He got standing ovations from the entire audience.

Just a little observation. Regarding Michael Moore's method of "documentary" this has been dealt with in other threads.

/Henrik
Old March 24th, 2003, 05:53 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I am as Charles Newcomb a veteran of RVN, also 2x wounded.
I agree this is not the forum to discuss politics but before the show last night Mr. Moore stated that if he won he would say something, that he is not checking his citizenship papers at the door. I agree Mr. Moore, you have the right to say what you want and people have the right to disagree or not, BUT I still don't feel the Oscars or any other "awards" show is the proper venue.

Having said that, I too wonder how they are protecting the microphones on their PD150's.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 09:34 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Adrien Brody (Best male actor in a leading role) delivered basically the same message (peaceful solution, stop the war, bring the soldiers home) but in a much nicer presentation. He got standing ovations from the entire audience.
That speech was almost the equivalent to Roberto Begningi's (sp?) a few years back.. I really love it when they truly aren't expecting it and are absolutely floored by it like he was; I don't think anybody else would have the guts to kiss Halle Berry!
Old March 24th, 2003, 09:49 AM   #12

Considering the current events, the only thing I find more insulting than hollywood's self aggrandizing are the people who engage in mindless discussions concerning hollywood's antics.
It's unimportant trivialities.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #13
Inner Circle

My quetion is...

When is TV going to give the rest of the American public 2 minutes and an audience of a billion people so they can explain their point of view along with the celebs?
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 11:43 AM   #14
Air China Pilot

I see a lot of people trying to skirt Chris' stated policy on discussing this issue and still getting their digs in...
Old March 24th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #15
Major Player

Re: Michael Moore (a little long, perhaps boring)

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles Newcomb :
Now to justify this harumphing post I'll ask this: How are the embedded journalists keeping that micro-fine dust out of their XL-1s and their PD-150s? -->>>

Well Im sure they have a Potabrace with a nice UV filter over the lens. They might also have another bag handy to change the tapes or batteries but then again I have a rain cover and it keeps the deck part clean and clear. So that might be all they need. But then again when the dust kicks up its time to close the shades.

Rob:D
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media