Are high-end tripod accessories worth their price? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Are high-end tripod accessories worth their price?

Are the accessories for high-end tripod systems worth their prices? Take the Vinten 3219-78 Pan Bar, for example. To the untrained eye it appears to be just a simple pipe with a little foam handle. Why does it sell at $150? Does it have a titanium alloy? Platinum? Or do they inflate the margin on their accessories just because they can? $675 spreader, $150 mounting plate, etc.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #2
Major Player

No, they are not worth their prices. No, they do not have titanium alloy, platinum veneer, or quality commensurate with their price. Yes, they do price them high just because they can.

All that may be done about it is to try to find compatible products to alleviate the accessories extortion. For example, the $80 Manfrotto floor spreader works on Vinten FibreTec legs, for a savings of $600.
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Daniel...........

Yep, hit the nail on the head.

The "Corporate Bodies" who buy this sort of gear can write it off every which way you like, so no problems there then.

For bods like us - yep, they're extortionate prices, no doubt.

That is, unfortunately, the cost of going "semi - pro" (damn, I hate that expression!).

Your comparison between Vinten and Manfrotto is apt, this weird wonderland of compatible workwise, but fairyland pricewise works not at all in their favour, not something Vitec have taken a great deal of note of.

Who knows, if enough people like yourself stick their heads over the parapet and yell "Enough", maybe they'll listen in your favour.

Else, they could get really nasty and make them all incompatible - now, what a bummer that would be!

I don't have an answer, I'm afraid, but agree wholeheartedly.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Er..............

How do you know the cheap Manfrotto spreader works on Vinten FiberTec legs?

I've only ever told one bod that rather interesting snippet, now the entire planet seems to know!

Come on, come clean!

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
How do you know the cheap Manfrotto spreader works on Vinten FiberTec legs?

I've only ever told one bod that rather interesting snippet, now the entire planet seems to know!

Come on, come clean!

CS
I got it straight from the horse's mouth. :-) Your posts are always very informative.
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Daniel,

What the other's said about the costs.

I made up my own single and double extendable control handles for about $25. Made up my own attachment unit for them too. Can change between them in about 3 mins. Sometimes DIY is better/cheaper.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #7
Inner Circle

and there's me thinking that by posting on DVinfo, I'm having a quiet little chat "mano a mano", in strictest confidence.

Glad to hear SOMEBODY actually reads this stuff!

Thanks for the compliment, BTW.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads