Tripods in the rain... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old January 6th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Tripods in the rain...

I think the title of the post is pretty self-explanatory.

Though my trusty PD170 can take some drops here and there, I'd never take it out in the rain without a rain-cover. But what about the sticks? I've got a set of Alluminum Manfrotto Legs (351MVB, I believe). Can these take the rain or am I being stupid and just asking for rust? If these can't take it, what will?

Thanks.

~~Dave
Dave Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I've used my sticks in rain, snow, sleet and just about any other bad weather one can think of here in the midwest.

They're anodized aluminum so there should be no worries at all. It's kind of like your car outside in the elements.

Having said that, I like you, cover the camera and as much of the head a I can and keep a dry towel in my bag or car so when I'm done I can wipe the legs off but there have been time I haven'y and they are no worse for wear. BTW 1 set is almost 7 years old and the other is 5 years old and they both look and work fine.

I wouldn't worry about the legs. just make sure you cover the camera.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
I've used my sticks in rain, snow, sleet and just about any other bad weather one can think of here in the midwest.

They're anodized aluminum so there should be no worries at all. It's kind of like your car outside in the elements.

Having said that, I like you, cover the camera and as much of the head a I can and keep a dry towel in my bag or car so when I'm done I can wipe the legs off but there have been time I haven'y and they are no worse for wear. BTW 1 set is almost 7 years old and the other is 5 years old and they both look and work fine.

I wouldn't worry about the legs. just make sure you cover the camera.

Don
I have shot a lot in the rain and I agree with Dave. Water will not hurt your legs in the least although I wouldn't submerge your tripod head. Wipe 'em off and keep on shooting, you will be fine.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I made up a set of red vinyl leg covers that cover the 2 top extensions of my Manfrotto 755MF3 carbon fibre 3 single legs.

Mainly to keep the dust out of the grease in the shackles around airfields and red to stop folk falling over the thing at airshows; I just added some fluro white bands around the bottom of each cover after I got the A1.

Also keeps water off and I cover the cam. Towel everything off as soon as possible.

I saw a guy with a yellow single sheet tent about 5' square on what looked like 4 extendable rods about 7' up. He worked under that, looked homemade and Ok.
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads