Overloaded and way too long. Now what at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 6th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Overloaded and way too long. Now what

OK I've got a Sachtler Hotpod with a medium weight (outdated) beautifully smooth fluid head. Great system and I love it to no end. Use it outdoors, indoors, climbed cliffs with it on my back and so on. Put a JVC HD200 on it with batteries and a Firestore and a monitor sometimes. Works great. Very smooth.

But then I started mounting exceptionally long and fast lenses to the camera. Now, at 2,100mm, it's over it's head a bit. It's a challenge to keep smooth while following fast moving targets that change direction. Camera weighs about 35lbs in full dress (monitor, batteries, 300mm lens, hard drive). No budget to go out and just get another one. Have to sell this one and my right leg to move up. I know a local guy who's got a Video 25 with aluminum legs. I've read the specs on it but I've never seen one. What do you think? Too much tripod? Will it handle the long stuff well? Would a lesser model have enough resistance for the long zooms? Is the 5K price at a good enough point where I could get the money back if it didn't work out?

And by the way, I wonder what this Sachtler HotPod is worth?
Attached Thumbnails
Overloaded and way too long.  Now what-cliffdetails.jpg   Overloaded and way too long.  Now what-sachtler2.jpg  

Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Eric...................

Didn't get squat from those links you posted, not sure what gives there.

As for sticks - well, I've just equipped with a set of Vinten FiberTechs, and have to say, if you want rock solid support, they can't be beat - the toughest things I've ever handled (but then, I'm no expert).

As for a head, well, you could give the Vinten range a try, some of the upper level models look real good, but may be a bit pricey from what you said.

As for your other questions, can't answer as I don't move in those circles, so will leave it to those who do.

Good luck with the new system, whatever it is.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Eric:

This one is easy. Used O'Connor 50. Spend a few bucks and have it rebuilt and you will have a butter smooth action that will work really well for not a lot of money. Check the boards, Ebay, etc. A lot of the RED guys are buying them up.

Best,

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen View Post
OK I've got a Sachtler Hotpod with a medium weight (outdated) beautifully smooth fluid head. Great system and I love it to no end. Use it outdoors, indoors, climbed cliffs with it on my back and so on. Put a JVC HD200 on it with batteries and a Firestore and a monitor sometimes. Works great. Very smooth.

But then I started mounting exceptionally long and fast lenses to the camera. Now, at 2,100mm, it's over it's head a bit. It's a challenge to keep smooth while following fast moving targets that change direction. Camera weighs about 35lbs in full dress (monitor, batteries, 300mm lens, hard drive). No budget to go out and just get another one. Have to sell this one and my right leg to move up. I know a local guy who's got a Video 25 with aluminum legs. I've read the specs on it but I've never seen one. What do you think? Too much tripod? Will it handle the long stuff well? Would a lesser model have enough resistance for the long zooms? Is the 5K price at a good enough point where I could get the money back if it didn't work out?

And by the way, I wonder what this Sachtler HotPod is worth?
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads