503HDV Head - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:37 PM   #16
Trustee

Thomas, if you visit the Vinten site you can download the manual for the Pro-6 HDV. The legs are different, but the head is just a re-badged 503HDV, as mentioned above.

http://www.vinten.com/product-detail...168&fid=4&rid=

There's a link to "Operator manual" on the right hand side of that page.

I'm not sure if Manfrotto have a similar facility on their site, I don't recall seeing one.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:20 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks

Hey Mike, thanks for the link. Just looking at the picture, I can see 2 small differences but the rest is an exact match.

Pretty cool.
Thomas Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #18
Major Player

I am looking for tripod solution for my newly acquired Sony V1U. In doing my research, I have only heard of rave reviews on the Vinten Pro 6 tripod system. Mike Beckett says the Bogen/Manfroto 503HDV head is the same head as the Vinten Pro 6, just rebadged. I have seen some negative reviews on the Bogen 501 head and the Bogen 503(non-HDV version?) head. I already have excellent Vinten sticks with a 100 mm ball. So my question is.... Is the Vinten pro 6 head available separately at a price comparable to the price of a 503HDV head? Are the Vinten Pro 6 head and the 503HDV heads really the same. Thomas Barclay said he noticed 2 small differences when he looked at the manuals. What are they? Thanks for the help.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Greg.............

Is the Pro 6 available seperately?

Yes

Price?

No idea

The Pro 6 and the Manfrotto head are exactly the same, rebadged item. Some minor cosmetic changes are all that distinguishes them.

What are they?

No idea. Maybe Thomas will tell you.

My Q to you:

If you already have excellent Vinten sticks, why not stick an excellent Vinten head on them?

The Vision 3 head will leave anything by Manfrotto in it's wake (IMPO, of course).

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #20
Trustee

If you just want the head, then I don't see why you would want the Vinten one rather than the Manfrotto/Bogen one if the Vinten is harder to get hold of. A Chris sais, they're exactly the same.

I chose the Vinten over the Manfrotto purely for the legs. I simply can't afford a full 'pro' Vinten tripod system like the Vision 3. With the kit I got, at least I've got a really good set of Vinten poziloc legs that can support a Vision 3 head should I ever need to upgrade.

To me, the Pro-6 (503HDV) head is good. Definitely not 'great', as in a pro Sachtler head or Vision 3, but as good as I will get at my budget. It's performed well for me in the field - locked off at 80% zoom in a reasonably strong gale at the Irish Sea coast last week and rock solid, plus really good pans and tilts at lower zoom levels - but like anything in this range, panning or tilting at higher zoom factors isn't wonderful.
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #21
Major Player

I have no problem buying a Bogen 503 HDV head versus buying a Vinten head, if they are the same. Even though the Vinten head and sticks would probably have greater resale value than a Bogen head/Vinten sticks combo. But I am not buying it for resale. In spite of the fact that most of the professional video world seems to look down on Bogen as inferior products, I have been satisfied with the Bogen tripods and heads I have used before. They have been durable and have worked well enough for me.

As for the Vision 3 head, I am sure it would be better but right now I don't have the $600 difference in price between a Vision 3 head and a 503HDV head. That is a big step when you are looking at $370 vs. $970.
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #22
Major Player

I have been closely examining photos of Bogen 503, Bogen 503HDV and Vinten Pro 6 heads. I can easily see that there are styling differences between the Pro 6 and the 503HDV heads but the way the controls are layed out they appear to be the same in function. However for all of you that have used the Bogen 503 head but not the 503HDV head, those heads are nothing alike and the performance and characteristics of the 503 probably have no direct bearing on the 503HDV head.
Old December 30th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #23
Major Player

Battery for 503HDV?

I'm considering the 503HDV, partly because the specs say it has an illuminated bubble level. (The bubble level on my old Bolex pan head seems to be in the dark shadows half the time, and I have to go find a flashlight.) Does the 503HDV use a commonly available battery, and is it easy to get at.
Ken
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:51 AM   #24
Regular Crew

503HDV Battery

Ken

I have the 503HDV and the battery is a CR1220-3v which is available at Radio Shack for $4.99 as per there website.

Hope this helps

Warren
Warren Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:45 PM   #25
Major Player

Battery compartment

Thanks Warren.
BTW, is the battery compartment easy to get to?
Do you have to remove the head from the tripod to change the battery?
Ken
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:52 AM   #26
Regular Crew

503HDV Battery

Ken

The battery compartment is easy to get too. You do not have to remove the head to replace the battery, but removing the head is an easy task anyway.

The head comes with instructions and shows you how to change the battery. You have to remove the battery compartment to remove a battery protection strip so the battery can make contact.

Warren
Warren Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Barclay View Post
I own a 503HDV and it is okay. My biggest problem is that I don't know how to use it. I conveniently lost the instruction manual. I have tried to go to Manfrotto's site for it but no luck. Don't get me wrong. I know how to lock it into a spot but setting it up for good pan or any smooth action is beyond me. If anyone has a copy of the manual, I would be greatful.

-Thomas
Try this link:

http://www.manfrotto.com.au/PDFPages.../503HDV_gb.pdf
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads