Manfrotto 503HDV head problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 14th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Manfrotto 503HDV head problems

We got 4 new tripods at work recently with the 503HDV heads for our HVX200 cameras. The problem is the vertical resistance of these heads seems not nearly enough. With the wheel all turned up to full resistance, it's still almost nothing at all - steady long shots are impossible. We also have a Sachtler tripod for the HVX and it has more vertical resistance at level one out of ten. This can't be right, but I haven't found any screws or anything for adjustment. Am I being stupid? There must be some hidden adjustment screws or something for the vertical resistance, right?

By the way the horizontal resistance is good and can be perfectly adjusted from nothing to very heavy.
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko Saele View Post
We got 4 new tripods at work recently with the 503HDV heads for our HVX200 cameras. The problem is the vertical resistance of these heads seems not nearly enough. With the wheel all turned up to full resistance, it's still almost nothing at all - steady long shots are impossible. We also have a Sachtler tripod for the HVX and it has more vertical resistance at level one out of ten. This can't be right, but I haven't found any screws or anything for adjustment. Am I being stupid? There must be some hidden adjustment screws or something for the vertical resistance, right?

By the way the horizontal resistance is good and can be perfectly adjusted from nothing to very heavy.
I have had the same problem! Called Bogen Imaging and they told me, that Manfrotto has changed the fluid to get better resistance. After 3 day i had a new 503HDV which was way better in both tilt and pan. May be that will help you?

Kind regards, Uwe
Uwe Boettcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #3
New Boot

I noticed something similar when I received my 503HDV the other day. I assumed like you that there would be a way of increasing the resistance of forward tilt. At the mo I have it on max setting of 3 for a Cannon XHA1 but the maual says that a camera of that weight should be on setting 1!
Vince Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #4
New Boot

apologies for my spelling - should read "Canon" and "manual"
Vince
Vince Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi guys...........

Sounds to me like there's a dud batch of heads out there.

I'd suggest you get onto Manfrotto PDQ.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Not sure if this is it, but I found with mine if I tilt it all the way forward and then back again, it clicks and then you can feel the resistance kick in. It doesn't change if I just have it level and turn the knob with the numbers.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:10 AM   #7
New Boot

I bought mine about 4 weeks ago and the resistance is very disapointing. Have you had any luck getting them fixed/replaced?
Sam Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM   #8
New Boot

Hi to all in here. I'm very confused as to what to buy. I own the canon xh-a1 and my goal is to shoot in the wildlife to landscape arena. I do wish to use a crane as well.but im just getting started and Im on a budget like most in here are. my first goal would be to master pan and tilts. using HD . I hear that when shooting HD with some Zoom on it its hard to get a good fluid pan look. because of the nature of HD. would it be best to buy say a 501HDV kit to get me going and then move to a more stable tripod wheni wish to use the crane. or am I looking at spending a lot more doah on a tripod that can do it all. (stubility,crane support, added camera weight...ect to get good pan and tilts). I ask this to all that have walked this path successfully. any wisdom is greatly appreciated. my budget for a tripod as of now is about 600-800. just to get me going. I will save the money if you can convince me to buy a better one for the long haul.

Thanx for all your input.
Brian Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duddy View Post
...would it be best to buy say a 501HDV kit to get me going...
OT: No, 501HDV kit will be waste of money. You can not use even WA converter on your A1 with this head. It has been said that Libec LS38 is the minimum kit to get but it has it`s own drawbacks such as no 90 degree tilt and fixed counterbalance but it works really nice with a camcorder such as XHA1.

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #10
Regular Crew

WAITING for the answer

I am also wanting to get a hdv head. I am getting a little better with my xh a1 and need to spend more time. One other question..... where do you guys put the white sticky tape to mark what is on the cassettes? When I put them on my tape will not go back in. Or do you even use these things. How is that for a newbee question?
Kenneth Burgener is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads