DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Two stage or one? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/142033-two-stage-one.html)

Bob Kerner January 21st, 2009 11:37 AM

Two stage or one?

I'm trying to compare Sachtler models that are 2 stage ENG versus one stage models. Both look like they go to similar max heights (depending on what web page you view the specs on!).

Assuming both go to the same basic height, is there a reason to chose one stage over two? Is there a performance difference other than the two stage has an extra section to extend/collapse?

Thank you

Chris Soucy January 21st, 2009 04:40 PM

Hi Bob.................

I'll assume you meant 3 stage (2 moveable sections, one fixed) and 2 stage (one moveable section, 1 fixed).

The only real differences are that the more stages, the greater the weight (assuming both models are exactly the same height) because of the extra locking mechanism and the need to have a beefier collar for a moveable section.

In addition, the closed height of the 3 stage will be less than for a 2 stage.

Other than that, you pays your money and takes your choice.

CS

Bill Pryor January 21st, 2009 04:51 PM

I prefer the 2-stage, but as you say, the tripod won't collapse as short. Still, it's quicker to set up and to move up and down.

Tripp Woelfel January 21st, 2009 05:48 PM

Not sure what you're shooting and that might make a difference to you. I have a 3 stage and wouldn't trade it for a 2. Now I shoot in a lot of different locations and I want different angles, low, high, cockeyed... you name it. The 3 stage gives me more options.

As Bill said, a 2 stage would set up a little quicker but I wouldn't trade that for the loss in flexibility.

YMMV.

Steve Phillipps January 22nd, 2009 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 998655)
I'll assume you meant 3 stage (2 moveable sections, one fixed) and 2 stage (one moveable section, 1 fixed).

CS

Must be different here Chris, but we call them single stage and 2 stage (ie Sachtler EFP 2CF meaning 2 stage carbon fibre).

The single stage tripods are definitely more stable (as common sense with indicate). I have single stage hd cf Sachtler and 2 stage. The bowl unit on the single stage is also a bit beefier, and the bolts which hold the leg sections to it are less prone to loosening over time.

The big plus of the 2 stage (and the reason they were invented) is that you can go lower and have a smaller package to transport. I use my 2 stage when off in the hills as I can't carry tall and short legs - the single stage don't go low enough to allow sitting on the ground.
But if I'm near the car I'll always use the single stage - the difference though is most noticeable if you've got a really beefy head with heavy drag (I first really noticed a big difference with my Ronford Atlas 30 head, and again with my O'Connor 2060).

Steve