Two stage or one? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 21st, 2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Two stage or one?

I'm trying to compare Sachtler models that are 2 stage ENG versus one stage models. Both look like they go to similar max heights (depending on what web page you view the specs on!).

Assuming both go to the same basic height, is there a reason to chose one stage over two? Is there a performance difference other than the two stage has an extra section to extend/collapse?

Thank you
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Bob.................

I'll assume you meant 3 stage (2 moveable sections, one fixed) and 2 stage (one moveable section, 1 fixed).

The only real differences are that the more stages, the greater the weight (assuming both models are exactly the same height) because of the extra locking mechanism and the need to have a beefier collar for a moveable section.

In addition, the closed height of the 3 stage will be less than for a 2 stage.

Other than that, you pays your money and takes your choice.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:51 PM   #3
Contributor

I prefer the 2-stage, but as you say, the tripod won't collapse as short. Still, it's quicker to set up and to move up and down.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Trustee

Not sure what you're shooting and that might make a difference to you. I have a 3 stage and wouldn't trade it for a 2. Now I shoot in a lot of different locations and I want different angles, low, high, cockeyed... you name it. The 3 stage gives me more options.

As Bill said, a 2 stage would set up a little quicker but I wouldn't trade that for the loss in flexibility.

YMMV.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:25 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
I'll assume you meant 3 stage (2 moveable sections, one fixed) and 2 stage (one moveable section, 1 fixed).

CS
Must be different here Chris, but we call them single stage and 2 stage (ie Sachtler EFP 2CF meaning 2 stage carbon fibre).

The single stage tripods are definitely more stable (as common sense with indicate). I have single stage hd cf Sachtler and 2 stage. The bowl unit on the single stage is also a bit beefier, and the bolts which hold the leg sections to it are less prone to loosening over time.

The big plus of the 2 stage (and the reason they were invented) is that you can go lower and have a smaller package to transport. I use my 2 stage when off in the hills as I can't carry tall and short legs - the single stage don't go low enough to allow sitting on the ground.
But if I'm near the car I'll always use the single stage - the difference though is most noticeable if you've got a really beefy head with heavy drag (I first really noticed a big difference with my Ronford Atlas 30 head, and again with my O'Connor 2060).

Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads