DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   What is a micro fluid head? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/17990-what-micro-fluid-head.html)

Chris Quinn December 5th, 2003 11:21 AM

What is a micro fluid head?

I'm looing into getting a suitable tripod/head combo, and for the price range I'm in ($150-250) I keep seeing micro fluid heads. What are these? Are they worth looking in to? How much different are they to say, the Bogen 501, which seems to be an entry level fluid head.

J. Clayton Stansberry December 10th, 2003 04:14 PM

From what I can ascertain, the micro heads are for small cameras "up to 4Kg in weight," so like up to 8 pound cameras.

The 501 will work for heavier cameras (up to 12 pounds) and seems to be the more "professional" model for bigger cameras.

Colin Sze December 11th, 2003 01:00 PM

Hey Chris,
Adding to what Clayton indicated, there is foot-print of your cam you have to consider, because micro head generally comes with a smaller platform. It brings a little inconvenience when mounting and dismounting if your cam is big.

Chris Quinn December 11th, 2003 01:02 PM

Thanks everyone.

My cam is a DVX100, so I guess that means a micro fluid head would be fine???

any suggestions on a good one?

Colin Sze December 12th, 2003 09:39 AM

All I can tell you is that my XM2 (GL2) fits well on my 128RC head. It is not a micro fluid head though and it comes with a Q. release plate which is quite handy.

Rob Wilson December 12th, 2003 10:58 AM

Chris,

If you're considering a head that doesn't have a Quick Release, you may want to reconsider. Unless you're mostly studio, I'm betting that you'll be on and off the sticks more than you might think and without a QR, you may not be happy!

Chris Quinn December 12th, 2003 11:03 AM

The 501 doesn't have a plate with a quick release?

Colin Sze December 12th, 2003 11:18 AM

Yes, 501 does have a sliding Q. Release plate.

Chris Quinn December 12th, 2003 11:23 AM

Hey Colin,

Are you happy with your 128RC head?

I'm basically looking for something that can give me smooth pan and tilts for shots in a scripted video (no super zooms or anything where any sticking at all would be a huge deal)

Colin Sze December 12th, 2003 11:29 AM

I haven't shot much. But I am happy with it when I play it around. I notice there is a small back lag when you stop panning, it is not that noticeable unless you pull in full tele. I tend not to leave my hand off the pan bar whenever I stop panning, that requires some practice though. 128RC is fluid in both tilt and pan movement, but it does not have indepedent knob to fix the position like 501.
501 is a pro type head and it is way pricey than 128RC.

Colin Sze December 12th, 2003 11:36 AM

One more thing, if budget allows get a remote control fastened to the pan bar. I am saving some $ to get one .... don't know when.

Chris Quinn December 12th, 2003 11:51 AM

You mean like a focus/zoom control?

...not a bad idea. how much are they?

Colin Sze December 12th, 2003 12:00 PM

I don't know the price in your country. But it is almost same price of my video head + tripod here.
Ken Tanada puts two reviews on these gadget, which are listed on top of the forum.