Tripod for Sony EX3 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM   #76
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Sachtler FSB4 or FSB6 head with Quick Lock legs. I have the 4 using with EX1. You might want the 6 for the EX3.
I agree.
Although I use an O'Connor 1030B or Sachtler Caddy with my EX cameras, I looked at the FSB6 at NAB back when I was thinking about getting something smaller for travel. I thought it looked pretty good for the price. If I was going to buy a new tripod/head I think that's what I'd get for the EX cameras.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:03 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Since I got my miller DS20 and carbon legs for use with my EX3 I rarely if ever use my Vinten 10 its too heavy to carry around, miller is great and light and is still usable with my Letus ultimate and nikon lenses. I love it! Check it out on philip blooms website.
Steve Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:31 PM   #78
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benjamin View Post
Since I got my miller DS20 and carbon legs for use with my EX3 I rarely if ever use my Vinten 10 its too heavy to carry around, miller is great and light and is still usable with my Letus ultimate and nikon lenses. I love it! Check it out on philip blooms website.
Does this suffer from 'wind up’ and ‘snap back’ or head 'drift back'when panning at all ?
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:28 AM   #79
Major Player

Read my review here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/tripod-st...0-solo-cf.html

I have direct experience with the Miller in the field and have been able to directly compare it to the Sachtler system.

Others have suggested Gitzo 1380 head and CF legs as a better alternative to the Miller.

I strongly suggest that the Miller DV20 Solo system not be purchased as the only and primary system for any HD camera. It has its uses in akward setups, but that's all IMHO.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Tripod for EX-3

i have a few jobs coming up that require a telescoping type tripod to eleveate the camera @ 7 feet or more. i looked and the Sachler "Soom tripod" which would be perfect but, i have not hit the national lottery yet to afford it. anybody have any suggestions for this type of tripod with a telescoping shaft?

Thanks in advance,

Dano
Dano Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Tripod for EX3

Can anyone recommend a telescopic type tripod (like the Soom)?

Thanks in advance,

Dano
Dano Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #82
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. Williams View Post
DM-Accessories - EX3-PLATE Reinforcement Plate for EX3 Camcorders plus DS20 for me. Had the DS20 for 10 years, solid unit.
I have the MIller DS20 (LOVE IT) and I just ordered the DM reinforcement plate. Excited to see that combo in this thread!
James Dierx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #83
Regular Crew

I've just ordered a Sachtler FS8B /2D for mine. Payload is 1-9kg so it should be fine.

Last edited by Dave Tyrer; July 10th, 2009 at 05:26 AM.
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #84
Inner Circle

Er.......................

Yes.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:04 AM   #85
Inner Circle

Well, there you go.............

the best answer to a non existant post ever - do I get a prize?

Sloppy, very sloppy.

CS

PS: At least I sign my handiwork.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #86
New Boot

similar question as o/p

Hiya,

I'm trying to figure out what tripod to go for use with a 100-300 f4 sigma on an EX3, for wildlife. Obvioulsy with the crop factor the zoom levels do prove problematic to keep steady.

I'm using a Manfrotto 503 at the moment which is pretty bad. Creeps back when you finish a pan and generally very sucesptable to vibration when moving it. I've tried using it with an elastic band, which is a good trick for long and predictable moves, but I find I loose birds in flight quite easily as it can't react to my movements quickly enough with the elastic band.

So basically I'm after a head that I can use without an elastic band and at those kinds of zoom levels. Budget is around £1000.

Ofer, you mentioned the Miller head still vibrates if you move it without an elastic band, is that going to be the case with any kind of resonably portable head do you think?

You can see the level of vibration I'm getting on these shots I shot at the weekend. Filmed black tailed godwits, avocets, widgeon, grey heron, and little egret at Bowling Green Marsh RSPB nature reserve in Topsham.
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #87
Trustee

If you've got 525 legs with the 503 head then i'd go for the Vinten Vision 3as head, it fits straight onto the manfrotto legs and is a HUGE improvement over the 503.
This is the route i've recently gone down, and i'm glad i did.

Paul.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads