Best Sachtler Tripod and Quick Release Plate for EX1 or EX1r? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 8th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Best Sachtler Tripod and Quick Release Plate for EX1 or EX1r?

I've been looking for tripod for a EX1r and I can't tell on B&H as to what I need. I would use this for weddings with a mic and light on camera.

I might add Rail/Slider to this eventually when I get a Canon 7D. Which Sachtler would you recommend on B&H Photo?

Thanks!
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Sachtler 0475 FSB-6 Carbon-Fiber Tripod System

Kelly,

I recently got the FSB-6 fluid head with the carbon fiber legs for use with the XL-H1A. It's B&H # SAFSB6ML2CFS and goes for $1,580. It has a capacity of about 13 pounds. With a 9 pound camera I find drag settings of 2 for horizontal and 3 for the vertical to work good. I think you'll be okay with settings at the 1 or 2 position for a 5 pound camera. The balance is easy to set and since you can slide the plate where you want it and lock it down, it's infinitely adjustable as opposed to a set-up that has notched positions. I am very happy with the FSB-6. Recently did a panning test while shooting a full moon. I had a Canon 100-400mm EF lens attached to a 1.4 extender, attached to the EF adapter XL. Not sure what the equivalent 35mm zoom is, somewhere around 4,000mm. It was enough that the top and bottom of the moon were cut off. Made some pans and couldn't believe how smooth they turned out. I got a very slight backlash when I let go, but with the stock lens it's undetectable.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Mark!

Has anyone else used this tripod or a better one for the EX1. I'm willing to put down $2K.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Trustee

I've got the Dv6Sb which was essentially the predecessor to the FSB6. I've got the Speed Lock 75 carbon fiber legs and use this set up with my EX3. It works great with just the camera and a shotgun.

In my opinion the weakness in the system are the sticks. I use the Gripfun PL-U95 oversized battery and also have SmallHD DP1 monitor on the tripod. With all this weight the head seems to be fine but I think I'm really pushing the limit of the sticks. If I could find one I'd like to pick up some 100mm sticks (Sachtler | DA-100ENG HD 2DA Aluminum HD Tripod Legs | 5490 | B&H) and use the 75mm to 100mm adapter. My next planned attachment is a NanoFlash which may really push me over the limit.

In addition to the Sachtler I've also used the Vinten and Miller tripods. I liked the feel of the Sachtler head the best with the Vinten coming in a very close second.

-Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have the FSB-6 as well for my EX-1 and have been very happy with it. I recently added a DP1 that I clamp on to the handle and it balances very well. I have absolutely no complaints about the tripod or head. If I were working with a 35mm adapter this wouldn't probably be up to the task, but since I don't have that to worry about it's working just fine for me. I may add a Nanoflash later but again this isn't a significant enough increase in weight to cause a problem.
Steve Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I've got a Bogen Manfrotto tripod with a 503 head and Im looking for a quick plate that will take advantage of the two 1/4 " holes on the EX-1r. Two screws securing the camera to the quick plate/ camera is better than one. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Chuck
Charles Penn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads