manfrotto head -> slik tripod...incorrect adapter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 26th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Tourist

manfrotto head -> slik tripod...incorrect adapter?

I've looked at other similar posts and they haven't helped out....sorry if this question has been answered!
I have a Slik Pro 400Dx tripod. The head came off to reveal my tripod has a 1/4 female connection. The head I got is a
Manfrotto 701HDV Pro Fluid Video Mini Head, and it has a 3/8 female connection.

Before I received either of these things, I thought that the connection I needed was a 1/4 to 3/8 connection with flange so I bought this -->

But now it seems obvious I did not get the right connection and am wondering what I am needing...any help would be GREAT! I was hoping to use this head tomorrow! Thanks
Ben Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Er, Ben...............

Can you just confirm something for me?

You said "the tripod" has a 1/4" FEMALE connection, was that a typo? If correct it implies the original head had a 1/4" MALE bolt, surely not?

Assuming it was a typo and the tripod actually has a 1/4" MALE threaded mounting bolt, then the item you highlighted, the 088LBP SHOULD be what you're after.

If it wasn't a typo, then I'm stumped, as I've never heard of a 1/4" male to 3/8" male adapter stud (not saying there isn't one somewhere, just that I've never heard of it).

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Major Player

If it's true that the tripod is female 1/4" 20. Then you can get a 1/4" 20 stud at Home Depot (they're in the plastic drawers specialty hardware section). Scew your 3/8' adapter into the bottom of the tripod head. Then screw it all together.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Major Player

Oh I see. You need a bushing, not the adapter you have. Something like this:

Camera shops often sell them.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Tourist

Yeah - it's female! The original tripod head was on a pole that fit through a hole in the tripod legs - and then a clamp was used to tighten it. Kind of odd! Thank you for finding that bushing - I think that is what I need!

Although, I'm thinking about returning all of it. I spent 99 on the slik tripod, then realized I didn't like the head so I spent 150 on the head, and 10 on the adapter...now I'm gonna buy a new piece for it....so I'm seriously considering just returning all of it and getting http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/567602-REG/Manfrotto__190XDB_with_701HDV_Video.html since its cheaper and comes with a rebate....

but I may get the bushing and see how it all works together first.
Ben Roach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads