Using a Manfrotto 501hdv head with a Slik U212 tripod? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 20th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Using a Manfrotto 501hdv head with a Slik U212 tripod?

I just recently bought a manfrotto 501hdv head, primarily to use with my new glidecam. I wondered though if it were possible to completely remove the panhead on my Slik U212 and mount the 501hdv on top instead? It's such a better head, I would really like to find another use for it without having to buy a manfrotto tripod of course. If this is possible, please give me details on how. Thanks!
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Michael................

Yes, you should be able to.

First you need to detach the existing tripod head, best acheived by tightening the pan lock as tight as you can then turning the head counterclockwise relative to the tripod body.

It should unscrew to reveal a 1/4" - 20 threaded bolt.

Then you need one of these:

Manfrotto | 088LBP Female 1/4"-20 to Male | 088LBP | B&H

or one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546493-REG/Manfrotto_088_088_Female_1_4_20_to.html

screwed onto the 1/4" bolt to convert it to fit the 3/8" hole in the bottom of the Manfrotto head.

Screw on the new head and it's job done.

The head will have a tendency to unscrew when performing a right to left pan with anything more than the slightest drag applied, but that comes with the territory.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Sounds great. I just put in an order for the Manfrotto 088. I had a wedding Saturday and tried stacking the 501hdv head on the glidetrack, and the glidetrack on the Slik u212. Didn't work (wobbly). Sounds like yours is a good solution. Thanks.
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Major Player

To quote someone else from this board: "Cause of death: Autopsy". Not sure whether I've ruined my Slik u212... I was able to screw part of it off, but I don't think I've got it right. When I was taking it off, I snapped part of the thread. Luckily, I can at least still screw the head back onto the tripod. Is anyone able to tell me where I've gone wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Using a Manfrotto 501hdv head with a Slik U212 tripod?-slik.jpg  
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi again.............

As I said in my mail, I was looking for the link to one of these with the head removed, but it is eluding me so far, and I'm wondering if I just imagined it having read the spec's here:

Slik | U212 Tripod | 612-212 | B&H Photo Video

It definately says "Head Mount thread size". If it is correct then I can only assume the head has decided to dismantle somewhere else but the head mount, but what, I can't say as I cannot find a clear enough photo of one of those heads to know how it's constructed.

Maybe someone else with one in their possesion can offer some ideas, gotta be a few on this board as there seem to be millions of them out there.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads