Tripod for air travel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 19th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Tripod for air travel

I have a project coming up that I will have to fly to film interviews and a festival. My Manfrotto 504HD Head w/546B is just too big and heavy. I'm looking at Manfrotto 701 head on 055cx3 sticks to put my Sony Z1U on. I know its not the best for video but its got to be light and compact enough to fit carry on or my suitcase.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/556159-REG/Manfrotto_701HDV_701HDV_Pro_Fluid_Video.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/584476-REG/Manfrotto_055CXPRO3_055CXPRO3_3_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

Any thoughts?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Tripod for air travel

Pete, if your rig weighs under 8.8lbs, check out the reviews for the new Sachtler Ace.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822102-REG/Sachtler_1001_Ace_Fluid_Head_with.html

And I believe it folds down to fit in your carry-on suitcase.

Cheers.
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I was thinking of that tripod but I leave Dec 29, it won't be in stock until January. In addition I read its up to the discretion the TSA to allow it as carry on. 30" folded might be too long for carry on. If I'm going to check it, I might as well save the money and take mine.

I didn't think of this but I could just check in the tripod padded bag it comes in. Then I wouldn't need buy a new tripod.

Fragile And Bulky Baggage tips and restrictions from Delta.com

Media Bags
Camera, film, video tape, lighting and sound equipment that is tendered by representatives of network or local television broadcasting companies or commercial film-making companies will be accepted as baggage at the fees noted below (Standard check bag fee).
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes. SIze matters traveling. There's a Gitzo Traveler that I heard mentioned on various blogs but it's pretty expensive.

I used a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 tripod and 701HDV head with a camera similar in size weight (EX1R) to yours. Those legs get quite small bit more importantly, it's rated for 11lbs when most of the others in that size range were 4-5lbs. The 190CXPRO4 fit diagonally in my slightly undersized 24" checked bag. The center column pulls out to remove the head quickly and shorten things for other options for packing. It worked fine for locked down interviews. Pans had the wind up you'd expect.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads