New Vinten Vision blue5 at NAB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old April 6th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #1
Inner Circle

New Vinten Vision blue5 at NAB

Here we go, it's NAB time and I'm in the review business again.

The brand spanking new Vision blue5 (don't blame me, that lower case b is Vintens doing) has yet another of my reviews appearing here shortly, including a cameo part by the equally brand new protototype of the CB Techniques CB100 Counterbalance Correction System.

Both have come through the review process with flying colours pretty well, amazing given the circumstances of the CB100, especially.

There will be a full review of the CB100 System a bit down the track, when feedback from NAB and others has been taken into consideration, and any small ammendments tackled before full production.

The Vb5 will be on display at Vintens NAB stand C6029, the CB100 prototype system possibly there also, though it WILL be at NAB, somewhere.

They're both amazing pieces of kit.

Any questions on the Vb5, fire them into here or to Peter Harman at Peter.Harman@VitecGroup.com.

For questions about the CB100, fire to either here (preferable) or: Richard@CBTechniques.com OR Chris@CBTechniques.com

The good stuff just keeps coming, and both the Vb5 and CB100 are really smooth operators.

Just as well, I had a hand in developing the latter!

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: New Vinten Vision blue5 at NAB

Chris...you are the man! I find it refreshing when companies are willing to keep you 'in-the-loop' even though you critically review their products. If there's an issue, or a potential long-term failure, you provide the un-varnished truth. Getting a 'fair & balanced' product review in this day and age is virtually impossible. IMHO, most 'writers' providing 'reviews' are in the pocket of the OEM. They're given free equipment or given equipment at a reduced price, perks you and I and the general public can't touch, which can't help but bias their 'opinion'.

I for one am very happy we have in you someone willing to do the un-glamorous and hard work to provide the folks on DVI straight, no-nonsense, honest, reviews.

Thanks Chris!

Warmest best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Major Player

OK Chris. You got us hooked. Now what is the Vision Blue5? And how is it different than the regular VB?
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well, from the looks, you couldn't tell them apart, apart from the name on the side of the head.

Same sticks, same head with a new CB range, same spreader, same case, more expensive, natch, but in the greater scheme of things, a steal for what you're getting.

Not really aimed at the amateur/ semi Pro market, more the Pro production level.

Cameras like the JVC GY - HM 710, 750, 790 & Sony HVR - S270 and similar, not too many here on DVinfo carting those boat anchors about.

Hence my frantic need of the CB100, to get my exceedingly humble Canon XH A1 to work with it, which it did, splendidly.

Impressed with both, though wasn't expecting anything else with the Vinten.

The CB100 blew me away, even though I was using it in "grossed out" mode (way beyond how I would expect any sane person to use it. I, of course, am not sane!) most of it's market requiring only the slightest of lifts to get them "in the zone", CB wise.

Lots more about that coming soon.

CS
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Major Player

Chris.

Is the counterblance thingie something thet Peter was tlaking about for lighter ca,eras and the VB?

What iz it?

JL
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The CB100 is a totally configurable system allowing any camera to be mounted on pretty well any more powerfull head (and I stress, the CB [counterbalance] system on the head must be too powerfull for the weight/ centre of gravity of the camera in question).

It does this by using a combination of both weight and height increase, to fool the heads CB system into thinking it has "the real deal" on board.

In the case of the original Vision blue, for example, there are quite a few cameras out there just slightly too light or too low a COG to work with the CB system.

Using the CB100, you can (slightly, grossly or anything in between) bump up both the weight and the height in an incredibly short time, mere minutes, and use even the dinkiest camera, just like the big boys, and the Vision blue (or any other head) will behave like a dream.

With an adapter of your choice (we're using the Manfrotto 577), you can detach the camera from the CB100 in a flash, then detach the CB100 from the head ditto.

That's why it's headed for NAB, Peter was interested to see it in action.

I needed it for my review, as my Canon XH A1 weighs in at about 7lbs, reasonably pimped.

The COG of the Canon was probably about 4" or 100mm at a guess, so not a snowballs chance it was going to work, and it sure didn't.

The Vision blue5 has a CB range from 12.1 to 26.5lbs or 5.5kg to 12kg @ 100mm COG.

Sooo, the CB100 went into "grossed out" mode, which it can do without breaking a sweat, took about 3 minutes to configure.

I've attached a few pictures of three combinations that worked a treat, none of which I'd expect "most" people would ever need adopt, as their cameras wouldn't be that far out of the "sweet zone" for a particular head.

The CB100 is capable of far more subtle configurations than the ones in the photos, believe me.

Bear in mind, the unit shown is one of the very first, hand made units with no livery whatsoever, so a bit rough around the edges, and there are bits missing.

The "real deal" will be CNC'd and look the bees knees.

And no, we wouldn't expect most people to either want or need everything on display in the photo's, just what they need to solve their particular problem.

We're still working out how to deal with that thorny issue.

The Vision blue5 review has landed in Chris Hurds in - box, BTW, so expect an appearance in the DVi newsletter (subscribe on the DVinfo Home page) sometime soon, the whole shebang in the Articles section by the 14th of April.

CS
Attached Thumbnails
New Vinten Vision blue5 at NAB-dsc_4387.jpg   New Vinten Vision blue5 at NAB-dsc_4427.jpg  

New Vinten Vision blue5 at NAB-dsc_4408.jpg   New Vinten Vision blue5 at NAB-dsc_4390.jpg  

Old April 8th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #7
Major Player

Sounds like you need to road trip up to Chch, Chris! And soon!

I'm hosting a gear gathering this wednesday night (not that i'd expect you to drop everything and hoof up here) with the goal to test the low light capabilities of the 5d MKiii. A few people are bringing other toys to show off and test. If you happen to be up this way, I'd love for you to put yer blue through its paces. (wishful thinking, but hey)

cheers,
-a
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Andrew -- please be sure to take some pics at your meetup and share them with us... especially if CS shows up!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #9
Major Player

Will try, CH. I get quite distracted at these kind of things. There aren't that many people with gear on the island, so the chances to get hands-on with equipment are kinda overstimulating for me. ha.

CS: is that a 75mm bowl? Hmm. If I'm anywhere near 20lbs, 100mm is so much easier to level. I suppose cameras are only getting smaller, but still. I'm by no means a 150mm snob, but 75mm just seems too small for ENG/miniCine setups.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to get hands on at some point and see how she feels in person.

Cheers!
-a
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #10
Inner Circle

You haven't been checking your mails, mate.

Yes, it's a 75mm ball/ bowl, so maybe a tad small for your use, though Vinten seem pretty confident it can handle anything up to 26lbs.

Sorry I can't make it, but already committed.

CS
Old April 15th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Ok, folks, Vinten Vision blue5 review has hit the news stands, just in time for NAB.

Review: Vinten Vision blue5 Video Support System at DVInfo.net

My thanks to all concerned.

The Vb5 is trundling it's way to Andrew in Christchurch as I type, so you'll be hearing even more about it, from him, soon.

Richard Davidson, my design/ business partner, is also travelling, from Texas to Las Vegas, armed with 50 plus pounds weight of CB100 gear.

I have a feeling that NAB will see him losing a few pounds as a result.

CS
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #12
Major Player

The blue5 is proving an interesting bit of kit. The weight range requires a significant rig to balance, so it clearly is aimed at larger cameras, but the tripod itself is extremely compact and light.

I'm still searching for the perfect camera for it. The fluid action is great (what I would expect from a Vinten... and what I wished of my Miller). The rig is very compact and portable (amazingly so for a tripod that can balance 12kg). I reckon the best fit for the blue 5 would be a guerilla news/doco style shooting with a light ENG camera.

For cinema/commercial work, the price point is close to some beefier sticks also capable of balancing a Red or Alexa. Event and "indy-dustrial" (my term for corporate projects approximating the look of feature films) have moved swiftly to DSLR and light s35 cams like the FS100 that only crack the 5kg mark with a significant rails rig.

Once I get the right camera on top, I'll be able to put the blue5 through its paces. If anyone has any specific questions or tests in mind, holler. And thanks Chris for sharing the review unit before it goes back to Vinten.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads