Best Sachtler tripod for DVX100b at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 14th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #1
New Boot

Best Sachtler tripod for DVX100b

Greetings.

This forum has been such a great help. Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and advice on which should be my next camera purchase. After much nail bitting, the DVX100b has won!

Now on to the real question - tripods. I've worked with Sachtler all my professional life, so I'd like to stick with them (I realize they're expensive, but it's a "feel" thing for me).

However, Sachtler seems to discontinue and/or change model numbers seemingly at random. I've had people recommend tripods (which are discontinued), so what I'd like is advice on a Sachtler triopod (legs & head) that I can purchase now.

Any thoughts? I'd like to keep it as small as possible, without sacrificing stability.

Peter Reynolds
Peter Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #2
New Boot

I'd like to hear tripod recommendations as well. My background is in still photography, but I realize video is a different beast. Got my dvx100b last night!
Bin Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #3
New Boot

Best Sachtler for DVX100B

Well, we didn't get any recommendations. I think perhaps this is a Manfrotto friendly forum :)

In any case, I asked around with some broadcasters who use PD170s as backup cameras and they recommend the Sachtler System DV 4 II Tripod, SP-75 Spreader & Case.

Retails for around $1300.

That's what I'm going with anyways. I figure that you can go "prosumer" with the camera, but the accessories should be as professional grade as possible.
Old June 20th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Reynolds
I figure that you can go "prosumer" with the camera, but the accessories should be as professional grade as possible.
I agree 100%, but I wouldn't recommend the DV4 II, unless you're okay with having only one drag setting or you need the lighter weight. It's either on or off. If you move up to the DV6 SB, you get 5 drag settings. The one drag setting on the DV4 is about equal to the "3" setting on the DV6 SB. Also, the DV6 SB has "Speed Balance" which allows it to balance a wider range of cameras, probably including the DVX100. This is a huge improvement over the older DV6.

I would recommend the DV6 SB and it's the one I bought although I still haven't gotten mine since it's been backordered at Sachtler for 3 weeks now.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #5
New Boot

Sachtler DV 6 vs. DV4

Thanks Tim. My dealer should have both tripods in the showroom, so I'll check them out. I like the idea of having a little more flexibility, without the tripod being too heavy.

Sometime I do use a Sony DSR450 (Betacam size), which I assumed would be too heavy for the DV4. The DV6 might be fine though. I'll check it out and report back.

Peter
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #6
New Boot

I have the oppurtunity to buy the DV 4 II used for 650, I think I'm going to do it :)
Bin Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I just got off of a shoot, we stuck a 100B (loaded with two Lectro receivers, Frezzi battery box, Frezzi MiniFill with dichroic filters, 15mm rods w/ mattebox and flags, 2 filters - onto a hotpod with Video18 head.

And then the 100b naked, on the V18 head, overkill, but still something nice to me. I'm used to oversetting the counterflow, so the combo put up a feel I'm used to - but it's an XDCam that rightfully lives there.
Daniel Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #8
New Boot

http://otfiles.com/ul/files/2/shyDP.jpg

got the dv 4 II love it!
Bin Chen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads