Tripod recommendations for the Canon XL2 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 7th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #61
Inner Circle

The Sachtler is one of the best quality tripods, but there are others in this league.

Personally, I own and use the Sachtler DV-8/100 with carbon fiber speed-lock legs. This is a wonderful tripod, and it works well with the Xl1s especially with some of the heavier accessories. When I bought this setup, I did not want to outgrow it if I added some accessories to the camera.

Other high quality tripods are the O'Conner and Miller (and others). Once you use one of the best tripods, the higher quality is obvious, but these are generally not inexpenisve.

Generally, it is important to match the tripod head to the weight of the camera. A tripod for a 50 pound camera is not going to work well with an eight pound camera.

If you want to go with Bogen, in my opinion, avoid the 501. Jump up to a better tripod head, such as the 503. I have friends that use the 501 and they are very disappointed.
Old January 7th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #62
Major Player

Also consider the Cartoni Focus. I love mine.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 12:37 AM   #63
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camren Cheline
Hey, I'm looking for a tripod for my XL2. I've focused on Bogen/Manfrotto and Sachtler. I just want what works best. I've heard the Bogen called "Bogus." I've used them for years and have liked them. But, is there something out there that works particularly well for the XL2. I'm lost in so many leg and head models and not sure what the right combo is for just a good trusty tripod that holds your basic accessories. What have you guys found?
How much do you want to spend, I have a great Bogen combo with (GET READY FOR THIS THE 501 HEAD) which works great and I wouldn't part with it, all for under 300 from NormanCamera. You can shoot all the way up to two-grand if not more for a combo, call BH or Norman, tell them how much you're willing to spend and they'll setup you up.

Miguel

Last edited by Miguel Lombana; January 8th, 2006 at 11:34 AM.
Miguel Lombana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #64
Regular Crew

I have a vinten pro5 (manfrotto) with a 501 head (yuck!). I have changed the head to a manfrotto 519 which makes a huge, huge difference and seems to work really well with the XL2. I had to tighten the legs a bit as the XL2 loaded with FU-1000, lens adapter & dual battery holder tended to make the legs slide a little. I find panning and tilting really smooth with this head and you can adjust the head to find the balance / return point for your setup. A little pricy for the head UK £600 but I would say it's in my top 3 accessory purchases.
Declan Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #65
Inner Circle

Dear Camren,

A "Spreader" is used to make tripods more stable. These come in two flavors: ground-level and mid-level.

The ground-level spreader is a device that sits on the ground and the three legs of the tripod connect to it (or sit on it). This stabilizes the tripod by preventing the legs from spreading.

A mid-level spreader, is an option, or an integral part of the tripod and is mid-level from the ground to the tripod head.

The mid-level spreader is quicker, easier to setup, and works very well on un-even surfaces. This is especially true if you have two legs on one level, and the third leg is on another level, such as in a hole.

Overall, I like a quality mid-level spreader much better than a ground level spreader. Of course, a ground level spreader is much better than a tripod without a spreader.

A viable alternative to a spreader, especially for studio work is a dolly, which is essentially a ground level spreader with lockable wheels.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; January 8th, 2006 at 05:30 PM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #66
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Lombana
I have a great Bogen combo with (GET READY FOR THIS THE 501 HEAD)
It really depends on what kind of work you do and what you expect. I have a Manfrotto (Bogen) 3221/501 which I have used with a PDX-10, VX-2000 and HVR-Z1. All of these are smaller and lighter than your XL-2. I still use it when I'm hiking around somewhere and don't want to carry a heavy tripod.

But I don't think the issue with the 501 will be the camera weight, it's the smoothness of movement. It works fine for a wide to medium shot. But if you're shooting at full telephoto (especially with the 20x on the Canon) I don't think you're going to be very happy. There is always a bit of a jolt when you start a tilt or a pan. Maybe this isn't an issue if you're filming fast action, but I find it really unacceptable for shooting live performances for example.

Another brand to look at is Miller. I have a DS-5 which I like, but for the XL-2 you'd probably want the DS-10. The action of these heads is way, way better than the 501. But of course you're going to pay a lot more...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 03:33 AM   #67
Major Player

Well, my setup is finalized

Recently I posted that I was selling my Manfrotto 3066 head in hopes of raising cash for a Manfrotto 503 for my upcoming XL-2 outfit. As it happened, and by strangest coincidence, I had posted the 3066 on eBay only a short while when someone contacted me with an offer. He had a 503 to trade!

So now I have it, and very strange it looks perched on the 3192 Manfrotto tripod. Kind of like the Chrysler building without the spire. Very different feel and mechanics vs. the 3066. I'll be very interested to see how the XL-2 feels on this with mattebox, rails and battery adapter.

I think a lithesome head on a bulwark tripod is the best combo for outdoor work. Indoors you can de-rate the tripod somewhat, but avoid the shivery and anemic variety. You can never buy too much tripod, but you definitely can buy too little. The best is an investment, lasting across many cameras, so do not stint yourself. I've had the 3192 since '99, in single-digit to 100+ degree temps, in calm and gale-force winds, in dust and in water. Ever faithful, and absolutely rock-of-Gibraltar sturdy.
Old January 10th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #68
Major Player

Tripod for a 4 kg XL H1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
Also consider the Cartoni Focus. I love mine.

KW
Dear video folks,
I was looking yesterday at the Cartoni Focus for an XL H1. Seems to work great. Now is the question of a good tripod for that head.

I intend to use it in the third world with some flights and long walks in the nature. So low weight and compact when folded is essential. Also prefer carbon because it is much better to handle during winter time than aluminum which will very efficiently steal the heat from my hands.

Now, what do you think about tripods like Cartoni 622/2C, 1.8 kg or Manfrotto 542 ART 4 kg or a Sachtler?

What is giving Manfrotto more than double weight but only 25 % load capacity according to their own specifications?!

I haven't seen the ART system? How does it work? Will it easily break? I like if the tripod will withstand some abuse without breaking essential details. Quality is prefered.

Quick operation is important to use it as much as possible. Which tripod is quicker to raise?

Thankful for any advice or opinions. /Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #69
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Forssblad
Manfrotto 542 ART 4 kg? What is giving Manfrotto more than double weight but only 25 % load capacity according to their own specifications?!
According to their specs, it weighs 8.8 lbs, about 4 kg, and has a load capacity of 33 lbs, or about 15 kg.
Old January 11th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #70
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Boze
According to their specs, it weighs 8.8 lbs, about 4 kg, and has a load capacity of 33 lbs, or about 15 kg.
Exactly Doug, Cartoni rates 60 kg load capacity on their 1.8 kg tripod (60/1.8=33 times stronger than its weight).

Manfrotto rates only 15 kg on their 4 kg (15/4=3.75).

Conclusion: Cartoni states their tripod is 33/3.75= 8.8 times more efficient to carry a load!!

Sorry I was unclear when I expressed my percentage calculation.
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #71
Major Player

Comparing apples to... pears?

I wouldn't read the specs like that. It's not clear on Cartoni's site which of the pictured tripods is representative of the 622, but all look much more substantial than the Manfrotto 542 A.R.T. I wouldn't want to load 33kg on a tripod! If I were, I really wouldn't worry about the tripod weight. Or will you have serfs to carry your equipment? ;-)

I don't remember how much my tripod weighs. I recall it doesn't sound like much, but being single-stage and hence long when collapsed, I think the bulk of it makes it feel more unwieldy. Looking at the prices on carbon-fiber tripods, though, might make me agree with your method of comparison: mine is far more efficient at weight reduction for the money! :-p
Old January 16th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #72
Major Player

I couldn't agree with Boyd more about the 501 head, that's exactly the problem I have with it. It's fine if you're just covering a subject that's already moving, but for small corrections, there's always a bit of a jolt to get the friction plates moving.

I tried every tripod I could at NAB last year, best was the Miller Arrow 30, but its like 5-6 grand. Beautiful action though.
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 01:17 AM   #73
Major Player

Is this a decent tripod for my XL2?

I'm looking for a decent tripod for my XL2. I don't have any accessories on it besides the large battery. Would this setup work?

http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/m...ode=503351MVB2
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 01:34 AM   #74
Major Player

I just got one for my FX1 and think it is great. I think the 503 head a good choice for the XL2. In fact, the instructions show a Cannon XL in the diagram. Mine is from B&H and was a little less than the one in the link.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:30 PM   #75
Major Player

I have the 503 head and 3192 tripod. Works great.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads