Tripod recommendations for the Canon XL2 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 18th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #91
New Boot

Try a Velbon DV 7000, not only are they half the price they are also smoother and better built for the money.
Chris Bottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #92
Major Player

Well, not to rub anyone the wrong way, but I'd strongly suggest you look at the Miller Arrow 30 if you can afford it, or a higher end Sachtler. I know exactly the problem you're describing, and so many tripods that feel smooth have the same problem, not being smooth off the start. The best torture test for a fluid head's smoothness is to zoom in on something, and then attempt small framing corrections. When I was new to the industry I bought a Bogden 501, and it's turned out to be just a waste of money. It's fine if you're just doing follow shots where the pan is continuous, but if you want to make small, minute corrections, its always sticky off the start.
I went to NAB last year and tried every tripod I could that was rated for the weight of the XL2. The Miller Arrow 30 was the best by far, and also the most expensive. I've used the Sachtler Video 20 which was also very good. I now rent a tripod for all my shoots, either a Miller or Sachtler, and am saving up for the Arrow 30. in the end, its worth the money as it saves so many shots.
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #93
Regular Crew

The Miller Arrow 30 is a fantastic tripod but may be a significant overkill for the XL2 - not to mention send the average guy into bankruptcy trying to fund it. I am a huge fan of Miller Tripods though. Perhaps the DS20 fluid head with either the Solo Carbon Fibre spreaderless legs or one of the alloy legged tripods would work a treat.
Andrew Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #94
Regular Crew

First, I highly recommend that everyone who asks for equipment recommendations state a price range which is acceptable to them.

I have a Miller DS10 and I am looking for an upgrade. It seems that according to everyone here, the lowest cost solution to my problem and yours, is the Vinten Vision 3 (~$970). I don't think that I can remember ever reading one negative comment about the Vision 3... while I have read dozens, maybe hundreds, of positive comments about it.

Another fellow posted the other day that he had actually tried all of the contenders in this particular range and the Sachtler DV-8 won out... but it is quite expensive, around $3000. He suggested that the DV-6 (~$1550) is of similar quality. Since he had actually tried all of these side-by-side with his camera, his arguement was convincing, to me.

Also, since I plan on going to a smaller cam, I am considering the Vinten Pro 6 (~$430). I found one positive review on it but I need more.

So my short list is:

Vinten Pro 6
Vinten Vision 3
Sachtler DV-6

Nick
Nick Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #95
Regular Crew

Thanks for replying guys...
Miller Arrow 30 is a grate trypod but out of my price range; I might try Arrow 20, or Sachtler DV 6.(I'll check Vinten 3 too at B&H)

What do you think about Cartoni f103; that one seems to be pretty good?

I'm also cosidering the weight of the matte box, that I might put on XL2, so the above mentioned trypods should do, I think.

Thanks again
Vic
Victor Burdiladze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #96
Regular Crew

Is this a good tripod for an XL2?

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive tripod that would support an XL2, and be sturdy. I have plenty of time to shop around, because I'm still saving for my XL2 :^)

Would this be a good choice?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Any suggestions would be appreciated (even different cameras). I'm open to options.

Thanks,
Luke
Luke Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #97
Trustee

That will work... that is really an entry level for an XL2 but should be fine.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #98
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Springer
I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive tripod that would support an XL2, and be sturdy. I have plenty of time to shop around, because I'm still saving for my XL2 :^)

Would this be a good choice?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Any suggestions would be appreciated (even different cameras). I'm open to options.

Thanks,
Luke
Just so you know Luke, I have both of my XL-2 cameras for sale in the classifieds. They are in pristine condition and will save you some money over buying brand new.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #99
Regular Crew

Luke, I own this tripod and the XL2 and they work great together.

http://www.mikeberlucchi.com
Mike Berlucchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #100
Major Player

I've been happy with my Vinten sticks and Vision 3 head. It's not inexpensive, but it's been worth every penny. I use the XL2 in several different modes so the weight varies. The different counterbalance springs are about $30 each and the number, 1-10, refers to the weight in kilos. So, if your rig weighs thirteen pounds, you need the #6 spring ( 6 x 2.2lbs = 13.2 lbs). With the Wideangle converter, matte box and follow focus the #6 was usually about right. I also used the #5. Now that I have AB Hytron 50's powering my camera it's either the #8, or #9. Have to take a little time and see which spring is best.

Cartoni Focus is also very nice. I'm not a fan of Sachtler's lower end stuff, like the DV4 head and DA75 legs look too wimpy. Their heads and sticks for for bigger gear is much better.

The Manfrotto 515MVB, or 525MVB sticks and the Vision, or Cartoni heads might be a good way to go, you'll have a nifty two tone rig. These have 100mm bowls, so, if you get the Vision 3 head, you can get a Vinten 75mm-100mm adapter for about $25.

The head is the most important part and it's also the most expensive, but pay for quality and as someone else said: you'll only cry once.
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:31 AM   #101
New Boot

Tripod recommendations for the XL2

I'm looking for a good decent price tripod for my XL2 that will work with the Canon TA-100 Tripod adapter?

Thanks in advance!
Don Almeido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:03 PM   #102
DVi Contributor

the best tripod I have found for this camera If you are wanting in the future to add a lot of extras, e.g. pro batteries, mattebox, harddrive recorder, wireless units. etc, is the Sachtler 15 system. I have demo'ed several other systems and this one is far better than all the others if you want a good balance, smooth pan and tilt, and quick placement. Sorry but the price is around 6,000.00 with carbon legs and travel case. However, if your in this business for awhile you will soon see that a nice tripod will make your footage look better, and this piece of equipment will outlast the next three cameras you buy.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 02:16 AM   #103
Tourist

Tripods for the xl2

Hi everyone I would first like to say this forum has been of great help for me.

Now the question i've been looking for tripods and there seems to some sort of an agreement on sachtler's tripods being the best. have you guys tried anything worth trying that would provide a firm support and a head that allows smoth panning and tilting.

my main problem is that i'm in costa rica and i have to import all of my gear and pay 49% taxes for any video related item (a total rip off) so i'm looking for a more affordable solution.
Andrew Vargas Barrantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #104
Major Player

Opinion are going to vary highly on this. I have the 3221 legs with a 501 head. I like the setup. I have seen a lot of people badmouth this combo. But to each his own.
Combo is priced decent and does the job that I need.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #105
Major Player

Don't know if it's in your price range (although it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Sachtler legs), I have the Libec LS-55M system with the H55 head. Highly recommend it. It's a lot sturdier than the 501 (which I'm not a big fan of in the first place) and a more fluid head.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads