Tripods, andy advice? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 4th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tripods, andy advice?

After years of frustrations on perfomance issues using my Sachtler DV4 as my cameras and camera accessories gradually became greater and heavier, I finally gave up on it. I took the splitting apart of my spreader on a fantastic dolly shot, as a sign to finally invest almost as much in a tripod as buying a used car. But hey, I'm all about biking and less greenhouse carbon emissions, so a tripod it is!

Apprantly I thought the 1k investment in my orginal DV4 would last, but proven wrong! So, now I am willing to bite the bullter and invest in a set of sticks that would last me through many generations and models of cameras.

My two choices have come down to a new Sachtler DV6, (roughly around $2k) or a used Oconnor 1030HD head with two stage carbon sticks that I found for just under $3k.

The camera I currently am usuing is a JVC HD110U with anton bauer battery system, marshall monitor, mattebox, and wireless mic system, so the weight adds up.

I like the sachtler, have never used OCONNOR systems, but am afraid I will even be pushing the weight load limits of the DV6 with my camera package. As I mentioned earlier I would like to have a system that would also work for other larger cameras, jib mounts, etc.

Does anyone have experience using the OCONNOR 1030HD?
Would I be safe in getting the DV6?
Which has better performance?
Would it be best to go for the OCONNOR for the extra $800?
Ben Garvey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads