DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Under Water, Over Land (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/)
-   -   Just ordered an XL2... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/under-water-over-land/75518-just-ordered-xl2.html)

Grant Sherman September 14th, 2006 04:49 PM

Just ordered an XL2...

... so be prepared for lots of newb questions. I'm hoping to get some shots of nesting seabirds next spring. I thought I'd get the camera now so I can learn how to use it.

Gabriel Yeager September 14th, 2006 04:56 PM

Congratulations! Have a good time with it, and keep us updated!

Per Johan Naesje September 14th, 2006 10:42 PM

Grant, you made a good choice for wildlife filming. Prepare yourself for some accessories. A good and steady tripod, maybe an ef-adapter and some good SLR lenses, to get near your objects!

But first of all, learn to know your camcorder, don't be afraid to try out the settings, there are lots of possibilites. And search this forum too!

James Ng September 14th, 2006 10:53 PM

congrat on your new XL2. Welcome to the "XL2" family. :) You will love this cam.

Grant Sherman September 16th, 2006 01:47 AM

Thanks,

I'm planning to get the ef adaptor soon - but first I want to learn how to use the camera. Too many thing to learn at once!

I have a manfrotto tripod that I picked up a few years back. It's a #144 tripod with #168 head. It's not very easy to adjust but it's certainly stable. I've been using it with my dslr+telescope at focal lengths of 2000-5000mm. Fortunately, nesting seabirds don't move around too much.

It's always good to see your work on this site, and good to learn a bit more about how you achieve your results.

Grant Sherman October 3rd, 2006 09:52 AM

It's arrived :-)

:-)

:-)

Alexander McLeod October 4th, 2006 09:50 AM

Congratulations on your new arrival! I'm sure you will use it well and often. We look forward to seeing your results sometime. That is one of the great things about this group; talented people sharing their work for all of us to learn from.

Sandy

Dale Guthormsen October 4th, 2006 11:43 AM

have fun

Grant,

you will have a lot of fun using your xl2. Tere is a rather large learning curve to start with. The biggest job is getting the presets the way you want them. download blue barn and some of the presets. I like the black and white one for focusing, then I switch over to one of my other two presets I have put on the camera. With a little tweeking the technicoor preset is a good base to start with!!

better start buying tapes by the bulk!! Look forward to seeing some clips down the road!!!

Per Johan is right, an ef adapter and a decent lens or three will help.

I purchased an adapter for Canon fd lenses which you can get good deals on e bay as they arre an older lens. Of course it is all manual.
Knowing what I know now I will get a ef adapter and a 100 to 400 lens. I have a 100 to 500 fd lens and to be honest, beyond the 300mm things get rather shakey and then you realize you need a rail!!
Have a lot of fun!